Silver James's Reviews > Crow

Crow by A. Zavarelli

bookshelves: 2016-books-read, audio-books, dark-and-dirty, romance, suspense, 2019-books-read, reread, 2021-books-read, keeper
Read 3 times. Last read May 2, 2021 to May 4, 2021.

Crow (Boston Underworld, #1) by A. Zavarelli 2021: I forget this is narrated in 1st Person Present POV. It's not a tense I'm particularly fond of so it's a cred to both author and narrator that I enjoy it.

2019 re-listen review: After a back-to-back-to-back read of a "crime mob" series by a different author, and knowing I have the 4th book in this series in my Audible library, I decided to switch over. Originally, this book was mostly okay and I gave an extra star for the narration by Tracy Marks, and because I wanted to move on in the series, which I did. Upon a re-listen, I still have high praise for Ms. Marks and a better appreciation for Ms. Zavarelli as an author and storyteller.

Maybe I'm just in a "dark and dirty" mood at the moment, but this book hit the right notes for me this time around. It's a solid 4 stars for me now and as a re-read, it's on the keeper shelf.

[Original review] I have mixed emotions about this book. I finished it in a combination of the Kindle and audio books and it took awhile. In retrospect, I enjoyed it even though I felt no pressing need to devour it, hence the length of time between start and finish. The audio book's narrator, Tracy Marks, did an amazing job with Mac's Southie accent and Lachlan's Irish one. This is a dark story of the Irish and Russian mobs in Boston. Mac has an agenda--to find her missing friend. Lach could be the heir apparent to the Irish faction. There's violence, sex, violent sex, and an ultimate HEA that I found satisfying. There are two more follow-on books about secondary characters and I'll probably pick them up at some point. the one draw-back was the long, drawn out introspections, especially on the heroine's part, that tended to slow down the narrative so it became easier to set it down and go on to other things. All said and done, this is a 3.5 read/listen for me and since I do want to eventually read the next two books, I'll bump it to 4 on the ratings graphic.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow.

September 18, 2016 – Started Reading