Kai's Reviews > Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race

Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

bookshelves: to-buy, 2017, important, feminist-as-fuck

“Even as a professional in an integrated world, I had been the only black woman in enough drawing rooms and boardrooms to have an inkling of the chutzpah it took for an African American woman in a segregated southern workplace to tell her bosses she was sure her calculations would put a man on the Moon.”

I don't even read nonfiction if it doesn't involve making-of Harry Potter books (which I still consider fiction in a way). So this was a good change for once.
I'm not sure when I first heard of this story. I'm not even 100% sure if I discovered the book before I heard about the film adaption, but I think I did.

All in all this book was highly informative, though I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was more interested in science, space and aerodynamics. My understanding for these topics is lacking, which is the reason why I often skimmed some overly technical paragraphs.
However, the life stories this book depicts are awe inspiring and moving, and this is what I'm here for. Strong and educated women of every race and heritage, jumping over (metaphorical) fences, taking a stand, breaking down stereotypes, making a career, proving that they have the brains it takes to work in one of the most prestigious scientific facilities in the world (and everywhere else as well). All of that, while so many hindrances were put in their ways, because of their gender, because of their race. Because of prejudice, ignorance and hate.
This book shows - and reminds us - that there are people who take opportunities and master them with grace, people who hold doors open for the less fortunate and give them a chance to shine, people who value bravery and kindess more than anything else.
This is what made this book worth reading.

I'm so excited for the film, I've been excited for months, and can't wait to finally see it. There's a high probability of goosebumps and tears.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Figures.

September 18, 2016 – Shelved
September 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-buy
December 15, 2016 – Started Reading
December 15, 2016 –
25.0% "This is great"
January 17, 2017 –
64.0% "So excited for the movie. Can't believe it's actually this successful! That's all I wished for."
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
January 21, 2017 – Shelved as: important
January 22, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: feminist-as-fuck

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by J.J. (new)

J.J. How is it so far?

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Jayly wrote: "How is it so far?"

Very interesting!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Perkins The film is superb. It deserves the Oscar for best picture.

message 4: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai I doubt it'll get it though :/ La La Land will probably take that one home

message 5: by Mariah Roze (new)

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for March. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Mariah Roze wrote: "Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for March. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

thanks for the heads-up!

Jordyn Naomi Katherine Johnson Turns 100 This year!
Just watched the movie with my friends