Leah's Reviews > Rediscovering Catechism: The Art of Equipping Covenant Children

Rediscovering Catechism by Donald Van Dyken

19293522
Sep 20, 2016

4 1/2 stars. I'd give it 5 stars except my preconceived idea of what I would learn from this was slightly different. I expected some practical knowledge of what *I* can and should do to catechize my own children at home. It only peripherally addressed this point.

The excellence of this book lies in another direction: it's comprehensive overview of several things. One, what is catechism? Two, the biblical reason/support for catechisms (new to me). Three, the historical reasons/support for catechisms. Four, who should be teaching catechism. This answer surprised me, I feel I lack so much understanding and knowledge of reformation history, that it surprised me that this surprised me: the authors strong belief in the duty of the church to catechize. It is a both and, it is both the duty of the church (and therefore elders) and parents to catechize the children. It is a synergistic relationship of catechism classes organized by the elders and then the bulk of the teaching done by parents at home, with review in class.

I learned a lot about catechism from this short book. It cleared up a misconception in my own mind about catechism being strictly the questions and answers from the Westminster Shorter Catechism/Heidelberg Catechism, and instead it being a method of instruction, probing, and truly teaching in order for the child/person to understand through the means of questions to search out answers and comprehensive understanding, rather than rote memory work through memorizing.

If you are like me and lack a good foundation of growing up in a sound biblical church, you would do well to read this and be convicted in heart at your own lack of understanding in how to pass on the truth of the Gospel to your children. Why do we need to reinvent the wheel at each turn when we have brilliant minds who loved the Lord Jesus Christ and labored in times past to preserve these beautiful truths? We don't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rediscovering Catechism.

September 18, 2016 – Started Reading