Dave Jones's Reviews > The Last Ringbearer

Jun 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, ebooks
Read from August 06 to September 17, 2011

First of all, this was my first book read entirely from my phone. There wasn't much choice really. I downloaded this book from either Lifehacker or HowtoGeek in the pdf format. Given my tendency to read just before bedtime, there were not many options.

I downloaded the novel because I was intrigued by the premise: describing a contemporary "counter-story" to The Lord of the Rings told from the perspective of the "losers." Yeskov creates an imaginative story full of various plots and sub-plots. Many of these are colorful and interesting. In the end, it was a mildly interesting tale that I was glad to finish so I can move on to something else (And to "get off the phone!" Reading by phone is a stopgap for such stories -- not a desired medium for full-length, fiction.)

We revisit some of the characters from LOTR (e.g. Gandalf, Sarumen, Aragorn) but I did not really get a sense that this took place in Middle Earth. Yeskov is not as rich in the description of the setting as Tolkien was. The overall tone was not on as high of a level as LOTR. Perhaps my review would be a little different if I did not know this was connected to LOTR. This seems more of a work of spy-fiction than fantasy.

Overall, this is mildly entertaining. The ending was disappointing and anti-climatic. (However, the epilogue was interesting.) If this was not connected to LOTR then I wouldn't have bothered. I can't even say I would recommend it to Tolkien fans.

On to some dead-tree fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Ringbearer.

08/06/2011 page 6
08/07/2011 page 6
2.39% "This is a PDF document that I downloaded. This will be my first novel/book read entirely from my phone."
show 24 hidden updates…