DJ Sakata's Reviews > Catch and Release

Feb 20, 2017

bookshelves: netgallery, womens-fiction, adult-contemporary-romance
Read from February 19 to 20, 2017 , read count: 1

Favorite Quotes:

It wasn’t as if he’d been celibate since his divorce, but he’d made damn good and sure that every woman he’d been with knew he was a card-carrying member of the catch-and-release program.

Clutching his chest, Ronan staggered back a couple of steps. ‘This is not just a fishing rod, Hope. It’s a work of art; it’s like the Mona Lisa of rods.’

Talk about JD – people love talking about their pets, haven’t you noticed that? Last week that woman from the orange cabin, Evelyn, bawled like a baby when she told me about her cat dying last year. Last year! Then she tells me her husband died four months ago – nothing. Not a single tear. I’m tellin’ you, Ro, you need to use that dog. He’s your ticket to stardom.

My Review:

Laura Drewry has created an extended family comprised of a compelling collection of quirky characters who were also highly likable, clever, witty, hard-working, and relatable everyday people with deep flaws and hard years of parental damage. However, her well-chosen and crafty arrangements of words cast this odd assortment in a surprisingly appealing, endearing, and addictively entertaining manner. I have been fascinated with and adored each and every member of this odd clan, but none no more than the new character of Hope. Hope was inexplicably drawn to the prickly Ronan before they actually met; she had become infatuated with his picture and the limited facts she had been given for her project. Hope was plucky and smart, and when flustered she was prone to spouting totally unrelated and obscure facts and bits of trivia - such as Texas horned toads could shoot blood out of their eyes. But she also had to prove herself on her first big assignment and a show featuring the small and out of the way O’Donnell fishing lodge was going to be a major challenge. I was also highly intrigued by her purse, which was much like Hermione Granger’s magical one as whatever anyone seemed to need, Hope was able to provide by digging around in her cavernous bag. The writing was unfailingly engaging, clever, highly amusing, insightful, and emotively heart-squeezing. Despite the fact that Ms. Drewry has run out of brothers to fix, I still want more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch and Release.