Cyndi Becker's Reviews > Three Simple Words

Three Simple Words by A.J. Pine

Gosh, what a fan-freaking-tastic read! 5 stars all the way. This story had so many tropes that I love, switched up in ways that made it unique and totally captivating. This story put my head and heart in such a good space. As I finished it late last night, I felt a blanket of warm-fuzzies surround me and left with perma-grin.

What makes all this work are 2 magnetic characters, Wes Hartley and Annie "HappyEverAfter" Denning. Each come to the table with relationship or non-relationship baggage which, as expected, create a bit of conflict. But these two also have amazing chemistry - an off the charts connection that's communicated through flirty and playful banter. Wes pours on his charm and wit while Annie's confidence and ability to roll with it opens up the possibility of a them.

Pine's writing is stellar and this story is so well plotted and executed. Wes Hartly returns home to Chicago as a writer experiencing block after great success with his debut novel. Annie, his best friends' older sister, owns a bookstore which leads Wes to agree to do a signing there. Never mind that Annie hates Wes' book. But once they are in each others orbits, there is simply nothing holding them back...well, until there is. But the angst isn't the type that will frustrate the reader and that I attribute to Pine's wonderful writing.

There are so many great nuances in the story line. Starting with Wes; his semi autographic anti-love story, his high school crush on Annie, his promise to Jeremy (Annie's brother), the strained relationship he has with his father, and his bout of "writers block". As for Annie, well she has this wonderful book blog that she uses to validate her feelings about love and happy ever afters. She doesn't really need to defend her position on HEA's to Wes, but goads her on and makes it sort of a challenge. Yes she does work to show Wes what it is & what it can look like. She's such a genuine character with a quirks and a passion for life. What I love is how Wes treats her. It's unique to her (which is sad) but it does a lot to bolster how she feels and her willingness to take a chance. I just found her to be a bit of fresh air. As hinted, they are surrounded by a great cast of secondary characters that incite a fair amount of the story line and how Wes and Annie interact.

This is the 3rd book in the series but the first by AJ Pine that I've read. I realized early into the book that she could easily join the ranks of go-to authors for a sweet, sexy, smart and fun romance story. By the mid point, it was confirmed. I highly recommend this book and rate it as a sure thing 5 #EmeraldCity Star read.

*I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Simple Words.

September 17, 2016 – Shelved