Elizabeth Neal's Reviews > Lessons in Gravity

Lessons in Gravity by Megan Westfield

Oct 27, 2016

April has always dreamed of being a documentary filmmaker and is currently interning with Walkabout in order to finish her degree. She still struggles with the death of her stunt pilot father three years ago, and in fact has nightmares about it as she witnessed the horrible crash that took his life. She's vowed to never get involved with a man that lives his life the same as her Dad did, adventurous, adrenaline based, and dangerous. A vow that changes when she meets Josh.

Josh embodies all that a climber is. He loves the thrill, the freedom, the rush that comes from doing it and has since he was little. He's not one to share personal information, preferring to keep his interviews concise and as unobtrusive as possible, therefore he usually doesn't come off well. A fact that doesn't bode well for April as she learns Josh is the star of their documentary and it seems as if he can't stand to be around her, making their interactions during interviews as uncomfortable as possible.

Josh, having suffered his own type of loss, is trying to keep an emotional distance from April. He's been intrigued from the moment he spotted her, but his feelings for her scare him. He can free climb with no fear at all, yet knowing she has the power to hurt him is a different matter.

April feels the connection between her and Josh, but is reluctant to get involved with someone who willingly puts their life on the line, knowing how easily she can lose him. She can't go through that pain again. However, she's constantly drawn to Josh and when she sees the real Josh, the one that many don't see, and the version of him that's just for her, she can't help but start falling for him.

As their relationship deepens, April knows she's in danger of losing not only her heart, but also her job as its against the rules for a crew member to be with the "talent." There's also the fact that she's terrified of his upcoming climb, and then one of her worst fears comes true.

Can Josh and April work through this? Will she be by his side during his recovery and after? Or will she decide she can't take the risk and leave him, dealing him another blow like the one he's already suffered and still feels the pain of? Will April realize she loves him, unconditionally, and give their relationship, their future, a chance? Will Josh understand why she acted as she did and be able to forgive her? Will they get their HEA?

One-click now to follow the journey of two people both hurt in the past and still struggling with the emotional impact it's had on them as they discover a love that could conquer all, taking them to the heights of something rare and beautiful. I will say that this story moves at a slower pace and is solely from April's point of view. I really wish we could've seen things from Josh's as well because I feel it definitely would've added to their building relationship. I'm hopeful that other stories are to follow allowing us the chance to watch both Madigan and Theo find love too. Plus, we can see Josh and April again.

**I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.**
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons in Gravity.

September 16, 2016 – Shelved