Mim's Reviews > Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives

Boundaries with Kids by Henry Cloud

Jun 12, 2011

bookshelves: parenting
Read from June 12 to July 13, 2011

Great book. Really opened my eyes to the things that I'm personally doing or not doing that leads to poor boundaries. This in turn gets passed down to my children. The big thing that I took out of this read through was the authors description of a child who grows into an adult with feelings of envy/entitlement vs. gratefulness and what the two are played out in a persons daily character. Good stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boundaries with Kids.

06/13/2011 page 103
06/16/2011 page 110
49.0% ""Letting the reality of the child's world teach him & having the empathy & limits of the parent to support the learning process make up the best recipe for learning to respect boundaries." p. 109 -Allowing my children to suffer the consequences when they are disrespectful is the most healthy. Help them think things through and take ownership of what they did-no blameshifting allowed!"
06/16/2011 page 114
51.0% ""Empathy along with reality leads to acceptance and the ability to move on." p. 113 --Don't get caught up with a child's protest, but with love and empathy hold the line--stand firm."
06/18/2011 page 120
54.0% "The best way to receive respect from your child is to demonstrate it. i.e. showing respect to your children and your spouse. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"
06/24/2011 page 131
58.0% "Motivation-children need to learn how to be self motivated. For instance it's our job as parents to allow a child to suffer consequences of his actions or rather poor choices. If we can learn this in order to develop our children to have godly character, then we can trust they will make good choices even when we're not around. Nagging & forcing them to do things only propels them to rebel when no one's looking."
07/01/2011 page 163
73.0% "Pain should be regarded as a good thing. W/o pain, there is no growth. "We change when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing...Life is not about avoiding suffering. Life is about learning to suffer well...parents who step in & rescue their children from suffering will be replaced later in life w/other codependent people, drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, or other addictions." pg. 141"
show 1 hidden update…