Jenny's Reviews > Matched

861924
Jun 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2010

Matched by Ally Condie was one of the most hyped up books at 2010's Book Expo America. It's the first in a planned trilogy about a dystopian society where the government matches people up with who they are to marry, what jobs they'll hold, etc. Except, for Cassia, the main character in this book, it all goes terribly wrong when something malfunctions and, while viewing the micro-chip that holds all the information about the boy she is matched with, she sees a second person's face for a split second.

I've seen some wonderful reviews for this, including being listed on many "best of" lists, but it just really didn't do it for me. Learning about the rules and functioning of this society was pretty interesting, but ultimately I didn't feel like there was really a whole lot to it. I did think the author did a good job of depicting how one small event or glimpse can cause someone to obsess over another and for feelings to build when they might not otherwise have. I could think back to my teen years and relate to this dynamic.

But other than that this was just an okay read for me. I finished reading it a couple weeks ago and my memory about it is already fairly vague. I will say I didn't think the ending was a cliffhanger like some reviewers said. I do agree with some reviewers, though, that some parts dragged slightly. I think I would have liked this book more if it had been maybe 75-100 pages shorter and more action packed. I would think this might be a better book for younger young adult readers except that I've read some good reviews by adults. I may read the second book to see where it goes, but I'm not dying to read it.

I was wondering, though... are we choosing teams for this one? Because if so, I'm Team Xander!!

Taken from my blog at www.takemeawayreading.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.