Bill Kupersmith's Reviews > As I Descended

As I Descended by Robin Talley

liked it
bookshelves: the-secret-history

This book took me ages to read; needed an audible to carry me over the finish line. It’s also taken months to get round to writing a review & I’d probably not have bothered except a reader gave me a like on my nonexistent review so I felt guilty there was no review to accompany it. So here it is. To summarize: a Shakespearean pastiche as school story & a better pastiche than story.

Adaptations of Shakespeare are so in vogue these days, & generally they don’t appeal. Reworking an old plot, even Shakespeare’s, isn’t my idea of literary artistry. I’m also distracted; unable to focus on whether I’m enjoying the story or enjoying how cleverly the author has adapted the original. I very much enjoyed Exit, Pursued by a Bear, but about all that was borrowed in that one were characters’ names & a vague atmosphere of Shakespearean late romance. In As I Descended we stick very close to the movement of the plot of Macbeth, which also supplies the principal characters as well, set in a contemporary American boarding school. Which is the main reason I chose to read it - I love school stories.

Not inappropriately, there are lots of ghost story elements as well; Macbeth is famous for its theatrical curse. Here the school has the marvelous name Acheron Academy - a joke Carol Goodman has used & I intend to borrow as well. For me a good school story needs an interesting school; bad school stories tend to be written by Salinger wannabes who despise their own creations. Acheron is different in being located in the south in an old slaveholder’s mansion & sometime around 1800 something horrible happened. Tho’ the spooky stuff was well integrated with the plot, I simply didn’t find it very scary & felt like add-on special effects.

To adapt the story to a cast of schoolgirls & boys, the throne of Scotland has become a juicy scholarship to Stanford called the Cawdor (hello!) Kingsley Prize. Head girl Delilah appears to be a shoo-in till Lily urges her lover Maria to take Delilah out of the running. At which point you’re thinking: I get it, acronyms. Delilah=Duncan, Lily=Lady Macbeth, Maria=Macbeth. Unfortunately, except that Lily’s a schemer, initial is about all they have in common with their Shakespearean models. There is another pair of lovers: Brandon & Mateo, & you think, I don’t recall Banquo & Macduff as a pair. But we can guess what’ll happen to Brandon & we indeed get a version of Banquo’s ghost in As I Descended. Lily, by the way, has a bad leg & needs crutches tho’ I wasn’t sure why. Maybe like Richard III’s deformed back, it’s symbolic of her innner evil.

Tho’ not a bad book, reading it was like watching marathon dancers or contortionists - it’s remarkable that it’s done at all even though it’s not particularly attractive. None of the relationships were believable or affecting & the characters felt under-motivated (dare I admit I have this problem with Shakespeare too?). I liked it better than John Green’s Looking for Alaska (now that’s “damning with faint praise” indeed). There are just so many better school stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Descended.

September 16, 2016 – Shelved
September 16, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 23, 2016 – Started Reading
September 24, 2016 –
page 105
September 27, 2016 –
page 198
53.51% "Still can't decide if this is a good school story or if all the effort has simply been expended on creating a Shakespearean pastiche."
March 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2017 – Shelved as: the-secret-history

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Thanks for the well thought-out review.