Julie's Reviews > I Let You Go

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh is a 2016 Berkley publication.

I heard so many good things about this book, by the time I got my hands on a copy I was frothing at the mouth with excitement. Did the book live up to all the hype?

Oh yeah, it’s very clever! The one downside is that it is hard to say much of anything at all about the plot, so I will refer you back to the book synopsis/blurb to get the setup.

I did have a few issues with a couple of lead characters, but since no one is mentioning that part of the story, I won’t either. Other than that, I was impressed with this debut thriller, which lures you in with a heart wrenching situation, quietly and slowly, but despite the low key pacing, the mystery deepens as you go along, becoming more curious and puzzling, and the last quarter of the book was absolutely riveting with one huge, shocking gut punch you will not see coming, which also comes with a few aftershocks.

So despite the understated quality the book begins with, by the time you finish the book you might experience a little mental exhaustion.

Although I hate writing such a vague review when I feel the need to discuss the characters and my personal opinion of them, and would like to have the opportunity to drop a few clues that would compel someone to give the book a try, I can tell you that if you like psychological thrillers and mysteries you will most likely appreciate this one and the cunning technique of the author employs.

Overall, this one gets kudos for originality, for tossing the formula writing out the window and for giving me a story that challenged me, which is just what I am always on the lookout for. 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Let You Go.

September 15, 2016 – Started Reading
September 15, 2016 – Shelved
September 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Linda Very observant review, Julie. I agree that it was a bit difficult to review without giving away the twist. Good one!

Julie Linda wrote: "Very observant review, Julie. I agree that it was a bit difficult to review without giving away the twist. Good one!"

Thanks Linda! Yes, I love books that catch me off guard like that.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Great review Julie x

Julie Deborah wrote: "Great review Julie x"

Thank you Deborah!

Margitte I should have read your review before I wrote mine so that I could use your phrase quietly and slowly, but despite the low key pacing ... We were all conned. Wonderful review, Julie! I enjoyed this book, and it happened at the same pace as you.

Julie Margitte wrote: "I should have read your review before I wrote mine so that I could use your phrase quietly and slowly, but despite the low key pacing ... We were all conned. Wonderful review, Julie! I enjoyed this..."
Thank you, Margitte!!

Deanna Great review, Julie!! :)

Julie Deanna wrote: "Great review, Julie!! :)"

Thank you, Deanna!!

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Wagner Spot on review! 😉

Julie Kim wrote: "Spot on review! 😉"

Thank you, Kim!! 💖

message 11: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Super exciting and thrilling review, Julie! I am definitely looking forward to this one . . . once I find a spot for it! :)

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Vague references and hinting at clever literary devices is infinitely better than blowing the lid off, Julie. : )
Fab review!

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Awesome review, Julie! I've been meaning to try this author out - I have a couple of her books on my shelf but have never gotten around to it. So glad you enjoyed this x

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Julie! I’m glad it lived up to the hype! I need to read it!

message 15: by Lady Alexandrine (new)

Lady Alexandrine Great review, Julie :)

Julie Jaline wrote: "Super exciting and thrilling review, Julie! I am definitely looking forward to this one . . . once I find a spot for it! :)"

Thank you, Jaline!! I'm pretty sure you will like this one!! Hope you can find a spot for it on your shelf! 💖

Julie Kevin wrote: "Vague references and hinting at clever literary devices is infinitely better than blowing the lid off, Julie. : )
Fab review!"

Thank you, Kevin!! I agree! It's best if you remain in the dark before starting this one! 😊😊

Julie Lady Alexandrine wrote: "Great review, Julie :)"

Thank you, dear Lady A. !! 💖

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I’m glad it lived up to the hype! I need to read it!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! Yes, you need to read this one!! 💖

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! I've been meaning to try this author out - I have a couple of her books on my shelf but have never gotten around to it. So glad you enjoyed this x"

Thank you, Alex!! This one made such a good impression, I added more of her books to my list. I hope you find time for it someday! 💖

Thebooktrail I know what you mean about waiting for a book and then almost being scared to read it! Glad this one lived up to the hype for you

Julie Thebooktrail wrote: "I know what you mean about waiting for a book and then almost being scared to read it! Glad this one lived up to the hype for you"

Thank you so much! You never know how it will turn out. Thankfully, this one delivered!! 😊😊

message 23: by Beata (new)

Beata Loved your thoughts, Julie :)) You surely enjoyed this book :)

Julie Beata wrote: "Loved your thoughts, Julie :)) You surely enjoyed this book :)"

Thank you, Beata!! I really did! The twist knocked my socks off! 😊😊

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Totally loved this book and its awesome twist! Great review, Julie!

Julie Kim wrote: "Totally loved this book and its awesome twist! Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, Kim!! One of the best surprise twists in recent memory! 😊😊

Victoria You skirted the twist masterfully. I thought this was so cleverly done and you’ve made me realize that I need literary devices in my suspense.🤨

Julie Victoria wrote: "You skirted the twist masterfully. I thought this was so cleverly done and you’ve made me realize that I need literary devices in my suspense.🤨"

Thank you, Victoria!! This was a one of a kind suspense novel. Gobsmacked me! 💖

message 29: by Fergus (new) - added it

Fergus GREAT review, Julie! This is one I’ll earmark for my wife. And I LOVE Victoria’s neat phrase, ‘You skirted the twist...!’ KUDOS, Julie!

Julie Fergus wrote: "GREAT review, Julie! This is one I’ll earmark for my wife. And I LOVE Victoria’s neat phrase, ‘You skirted the twist...!’ KUDOS, Julie!"

Thank you so much, Fergus!! I hope your wife will add this one to her list! It's a good one!! 😊😊

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula Wonderful review, Julie!

Julie Paula wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Paula!! 😊😊