DJ Sakata's Reviews > Hazel Darling: Sweetest Sister

Hazel Darling by Annie Rose Welch

bookshelves: womens-fiction

Favorite Quotes:

Have you ever had to turn over a new leaf, Stranger? Or as my Uncle Hennessey likes to say, 'turn your life upside down like a snow globe, just to see if you like the way the white pieces land better than they did before.' I think what he really means is, if you don't like the way your life is going, you have to shake it up a bit. And that's what I'm doin' here. Just shaking my snow globe.

... one of Tobias's great aunts, paternal side, struck up a conversation with her. It was pleasant enough chatter, but the old gal had uncontrollable flatulence. It would strike every so often, like a gray snake out of thick smoke.

I'm ready to say goodbye to him - for good this time. Have you ate one of your favorite foods and then gotten sick off of it? Although you remember why it was your favorite, from that day forward it's always tainted by the memories of sickness. That's how I feel about Stroke. Every time I look at him I feel the need to vomit. It's done wonders for my 'healthy eating!'

Forever and happily ever after lives beyond the surface of this pool - your pool, the place fairies come to play. I'm going to steal a bit of it for you, bring it back, and rest it at your feet.

My Review:

I fell for Annie Rose Welch when reading the first book in this series, Pistol Fanny's Hank and Delilah. I adored the story and her turn of phrase. However, I enjoyed Hazel Darling: Sweetest Sister even more. Ms. Welch infused both tales with humor, fanciful musings, and lush descriptions that were colorful, artistic, and lavish. Every meal she mentioned seemed of feast quality and quickly stirred my hunger as each morsel sounded rich and satisfying on the tongue. Much like her creative and talented combinations of words on the page entertained my imagination and pricked my curiosity for more of the tale. I cannot wait to read future installments for each intriguing sister of this quirky clan of reformed bandits.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hazel Darling.

September 15, 2016 – Shelved