Sarah's Reviews > Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven

Jun 11, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in June, 2011

This review might contain spoilers depending upon how you look at things:

I read this book in one afternoon. In general while reading the story I was engaged. However, sometimes that engagement involved a lot of cringing at some of the comments in the book or things that they did that seemed somewhat foolish. The author even admits that a lot of the things she and her friend did while backpacking through China were probably not the best. However, it just felt so so much like the negative side I felt of being at Brown. Lots of rich white kids trying to analyze the world through the vision or privilege. I feel like this book made me more and more uncomfortable the more I thought about it. It's a book not just about traveling but also about mental illness. It's not really clear because the author never found her traveling companion again, however this book may be the story of a young woman who lost her future and had a total break down. Or, at the very least of a very dark time in her life. However, Gilman writes more about her own cluelessness rather than taking a step back and trying to be more thoughtful. It isn't until the last chapter that she tries this at all. In the end I just found it, as a whole dissatisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven.