Adalyn (Glittering Reads)'s Reviews > Our Dark Duet

Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

Jul 27, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: anticipated-2017-releases

I actually have no clue what happened because I loved This Savage Song and was so excited to read Our Dark Duet, but it ended up being a huge disappointment. I’m honestly not even sure if it’s worth the three star rating I gave it. I mean, I love (most of) the characters and Schwab’s writing style so much, but the plot was just boring. If it weren’t for Booktube-A-Thon and needing to read a sequel, I probably would have DNF’d this because that’s just how bored I was.

Kate was way worse in this book. I had a love-hate relationship with her in the first book, but in this one it basically turned into a barely even like-hate relationship. She was just SO obnoxious and whiny and pretentious. I think Kate is pretty used to getting her way and people kind of catering to her after growing up with a father who basically ran the city, and now she doesn’t know what to do. But I may be completely wrong. It just made me sad to see others trying to befriend her and actually showing kindness her way, and instead Kate is just always annoyed with them and doesn’t even tell them she left or anything. I get that she’s cautious, but it doesn’t hurt to be somewhat kind to these people who are letting you stay at their house because they wanted to help you out.

On the other hand, I do really like this quote from Kate’s perspective.

There were two kinds of monsters, the kind that hunted the streets and the kind that lived in your head. She could fight the first, but the second was more dangerous. It was always, always, always a step ahead.

August will forever be my favorite. He’s just so adorable and sweet and smol… but also the opposite of those three things? I love him so so much. If I could, I would reach through the pages of this book and give him a hug. Especially at the ending.

I feel like Schwab does a really good job at writing multi dimensional characters and making the reader care for them, because that’s exactly how I’ve felt with not only August, but also characters from her other books. That does not mean I feel any sympathy towards Kate though. Whoops.

Actually Schwab does an amazing job just writing overall. This past year, I have fallen head over heels in love with her writing style (wait… does that even make sense? I did not realize you could actually fall in love with the way someone writes, but it looks like I was wrong). I don’t even know how to describe it, but she does such an amazing job creating realistic and multi dimensional characters and beautiful worlds. And she also does an amazing job with descriptions and metaphors and just everything about her writing is ahhh I love it so much.

Mourning was its own kind of music—the sound of so many hearts, of so many breaths, of so many standing together.

Okay, I know I just said she does a wonderful job with creating worlds, so this may seem kind of contradictory, but I think the world in this book could be a bit more fleshed out and explained better. Schwab does a great job with world building, but at the same time, I’m still very confused about this world. Is it set in the future and somehow monsters have been created? Is it like an alternate dimension? I need answers. But other than that, A+ world building. Schwab creates such unique and interesting worlds that always feel just so real. And honestly I feel like that whole paragraph was kind of contradictory, but oh well *shrugs*.

On to the more disappointing side of things, we have the plot. While the concept of the story is very unique, I found the storyline itself to be kind of predictable and a bit cliché. I hate that word, but I’m not sure how else to describe it. The beginning was really slow and boring and also kind of confusing. I wasn’t really sure what exactly was happening on either sides of things. Then again, there was a six month time difference between the last book and this one, so maybe that was why.

Like I said before, I nearly DNF’d this book because I was so bored. Nothing seemed to be happening at all and then the book started to pick up and then everything was all happening at once. The added poetry made it even more confusing and in my opinion, detached you from the world and the story.

This book had so much more potential, and sadly, it did not deliver. While I love Schwab's writing in itself, I found that the plot of this story was incredibly boring and tedious. This book could have been either a lot shorter, or have covered more time so maybe it wasn’t as confusing? I’m not sure. There’s one other thing I had a problem with, but spoilers. So I will not say it.

Overall, I loved most of the characters, the side characters especially (Ilsa has been my fav since day one though honestly) and the writing. Also the world is so complex and interesting, I love it. However, I was bored and was just hoping for this book to be over the entire time. And one of the main characters really got on my nerves. I’m pretty sure I’ll stick with three stars, but I’m leaning towards more of a 2.5 if I’m being honest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Dark Duet.

September 14, 2016 – Shelved
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: anticipated-2017-releases
July 10, 2017 – Started Reading
July 10, 2017 –
page 50
9.8% "I forgot how darkly beautiful these books are"
July 27, 2017 – Finished Reading