Shira Glassman's Reviews > The Terracotta Bride

The Terracotta Bride by Zen Cho

An intimate drama of the home focusing on just a few characters, but in a paranormal setting. Zen Cho's worldbuilding and storytelling are a joy. I'm afraid this review isn't going to be as thorough as it deserves, but if Asian diaspora fantasy/paranormal with f/f in it interests you at all, give this one a try. (Edited to add: see, this is how you worldbuild. I always understood what she was talking about, even though I am 100% new to this culture to the point where I don't know what's Cho and what's existing traditions. But even within the short scope of the novella she gave me a clear picture.)

Fair warning that this one's bittersweet, but the f/f characters that stay together, stay together in the most freaking romantic and hopeful way and the bittersweetness isn't tropey but the natural outcome of (view spoiler). In the afterlife. And then she chooses hope and the unknown and New Things and it's just really neat and I wish I'd written the review right after I read it so I could have done a better job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terracotta Bride.

Finished Reading
September 14, 2016 – Shelved
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: asian-asian-diaspora-authors
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: femslash
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: ff-sff
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: sff-speculative
July 6, 2018 – Shelved as: artificial-intelligence

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Rie (new)

Rie One of my favorites! The anthology where I first discovered it, Steam-Powered 2, is also excellent.