Preeti's Reviews > Throne of Lies

Throne of Lies by Sara Secora

bookshelves: preeti-s-panorama

As a reader, I have been fortunate to have read a number of good books but it is also true that there are very few instances, which I can recall, when a book has enraptured me from the very first page itself. This book is surely one of them.
It was my pleasant surprise when I felt ‘the pull’ immediately after reading the first few lines. My heart said to my mind – ‘This is the book which both of us will surely enjoy together’ :)

General Overview:
An endearing tale of overcoming your fears and accepting your own self. An eventful story with an interesting plot and descriptive scenes that bound you till the very end of the book.

Plot:
A princess who craves for one thing which she cannot have – to choose her own destiny. Princess Amethysta’s only wish is to make her own destiny, to have the freedom to do what she wants; but being the only heir to the throne she is constrained by rules of royalty. For maintaining the royal line, she is to marry a nobleman who turns out to be a very horrible person. On the more her tender heart has started falling for someone who understands her as nobody else. As if these things are not enough, she also has to struggle with occasional occurrence of blue glow within her. The story deals with her life and her coming in terms with her unique abilities.

Characters:
Most of the characters in the story didn’t leave much impression. It was just because, the whole story was around the princess. Other characters were just pleasant.

Amethysta is a young girl having her own dreams but no means to fulfill or achieve them. At first glance, one could find her immature and rebellious; but I could easily understand her. Her immaturity is justifiable as she has been brought up in a very controlled environment. Then there is her rebellious nature. I believe any person can become frustrated if he is forced to live a life like that. To add to this, she has so many questions about her own self which she isn’t able to share with anyone. Even her mother refuses to give her clarity. Where will she go, if all the doors are being closed on her face? It is obvious that she will try to find answers elsewhere – by hook or by crook.

Amethysta isn’t shown as a very courageous person. Although she tries to rebel at times and tries her best to be brave, but she gives up if intimidated. For instance, when her father scolds her for any wrong doing, she draws blank while answering to him, even if her mind is churning with all the answers. Personally, I felt that this feature gave a realistic touch to her character.

Pros:
I loved the cover of the book. It really is attractive and quite compelling.

The depth of study and research done by the author can be easily seen as you go through the book. The author has drawn a whole new calendar having months, which really fascinated me. The account of functions in the castles; dresses of the maids; architecture of the castle and its surroundings – all have been skilfully written.

Easy and descriptive writing was the soul of the book. I was trapped from the time I read the description of forest in the night. I immensely liked the entwining of smaller details by the author like - the lip of the stairwell or the miniscule reflection at the back of the spoon and many more…

The historical background of the land and the categorization of all the kingdoms, was very well explained. The hows and whys of the kingdoms helped in grasping the story-line.

The simplicity with which the author dealt with the doubts and fears of Amethysta is beyond compare. Amethysta’s jumbled thoughts, her way to overcome her fear, her turmoil to seek answers, realisation of her own capabilities, and her acceptance of being unique – has been expressed beautifully.

I was also amazed with the particular twist in the last phase of the story. It is definitely a stepping stone for the second instalment of this trilogy.

Cons:
I have only one thing to say and that is completely my personal perception. I have to be vague in order to avoid giving out any spoilers. It is just that, I really wonder whether a person can change one’s feelings so quickly as shown in this story.

This was the only part that didn’t go well with me. Is it possible to turn towards another person whom you have met merely three times and forget completely about the one whom you interacted with, almost every day? Without indulging further, I would leave it at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Lies.

September 14, 2016 – Started Reading