Katherine Espano's Reviews > Genesis

Genesis by David J.  Tucker

This novel set in space has an engaging storyline at its heart. I'm not typically a fan of hard sci-fi with battle scenes and detailed technological explanations, but Tucker's novel won me over. Once I got to know Genesis, I was hooked by the mystery involved with his character: Why does he have trouble using his Rieft, yet has other unusual abilities that allow him to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds? What happened to Genesis' mentor? What is the meaning of the mysterious closed portal? What does the alien want with Genesis? Although I had a little trouble getting into the novel at first, I really enjoyed the storyline for Genesis.

The characters in general are likable and felt believable to me. The society is structured around religion and holy wars, and I liked that the religion felt organic to the created world. I didn't feel any intrusive preachiness from the author in favor of or criticism of religion; religion is simply the basis for how the novel's society is structured.

The downside of this novel is that at times there is too much telling of information. There were also some scenes that I really would have liked to have witnessed as a reader: I would have liked to have seen fewer military battles and more of Genesis' training. Toward the end of the novel, a captivating horrific subplot is described by Me'lina... I was very intrigued by it, and although I'm not always a fan of battles, that particular struggle aboard the ship would have been especially compelling if we'd been allowed to see it unfold directly. That was good stuff! It reminded me of old-fashioned sci-fi horror. Even just hearing the story through Me'lina's character was captivating.

Overall, Genesis' plot line is engaging and well worth reading. I enjoyed this novel, and I highly recommend it to sci-fi readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genesis.

September 12, 2016 – Started Reading