Allan Walsh's Reviews > Mortal Engines

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

liked it
bookshelves: apocalyptic-dystopian

Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve is a story about love, courage and survival amid Mobile cities, ravaging each other for resources in a barren world.

The Bad Stuff: This is an old YA novel and the authors style is a little dated. There are multiple points of view and author interjections in parenthesis throughout the story.

The Good Stuff: While the style is unusual and dated, I enjoyed this book. There are some great characters and concepts, a few unexpected turns and a well established, albeit barren, wasteland of a world.

Overall, this is a good YA novel. You'll come to love the main characters and want to see them succeed. There are a few twists you won't see coming, that start very close to the beginning of the story. For entertainment value and creativity, I'm giving this one 3 out of 5 Golden Bookmarks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mortal Engines.

September 14, 2016 – Shelved
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 24, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 20, 2017 – Started Reading
April 23, 2017 –
page 52
13.94% "Enjoyable so far, now let's see how this story unfolds."
April 24, 2017 –
page 72
19.3% "A few word choices seem out of place to me, but it is an enjoyable read so far. I like the characters, they are well done :)"
May 1, 2017 –
page 166
44.5% "Well, this book gets better as it goes along. I was a little put off at first by the authors style, using parenthesis in places for an omniscient pov and italics when shifting pov the character of Shrike, but I got over it and it works now I've accepted the style."
May 9, 2017 –