C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Sun Is Also a Star

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Is Also a Star.

September 14, 2016 – Shelved
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2016 – Started Reading
October 27, 2016 –
page 174
50.0% "The instalove is STRONG WITH THIS ONE. #help"
October 28, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 28, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
October 28, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hmm, I think I might check this out at the library instead. (My opinions have pretty much mirrored yours in the past couple of months and I've even bought books, read them and then looked at your review realizing that you felt the same!)
Love the review, so hilarious!

Kate Scott I just downloaded the audiobook version and am *hoping* I like it better than you did. I've never read anything by this author, so we'll see! In general, I do like unrealistic philosophy conversations, so maybe, just maybe I'll like it? One can hope.

Miriam Joy I had similar feelings (less strong, though, because I'm me). I probably should have seen that coming, because me and romance just don't mix.

Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books) I'm intrigued that this is about a Korean immigrant family. I'm tempted to read it but I hate insta-love so much. I haven't read "Everything, Everything" either so Idk what to do with myself. D:

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo what a shame :(

Kei • lovelypagesreviews • OMG don't get me started on Everything, Everything. Just no. I think a lot of the stuff you mentioned here can also apply to that one :/

Bookevin Nuuuuuuuuuuuu. I really liked this one and it sucks that you didn't. BUT THE COVER THOUGH <3

message 8: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla Loewen That was like, your shortest list of likes ever haha

Samantha (WLABB) I get that some people don't like instalove, but I thought the snippets had a reason. This entire story is based on happenstance and kind of the butterfly effect. If the security woman had not lingered on Natasha's phone, Natasha would not have missed her appointment, and she would not have been put in touch with the other agent, who sent her to the lawyer's office, where she bumped into Daniel.

Monica (Tomes Project) Eeeeeeeh. I wasn't a fan of EE either and wanted to give this author another go, but now....I'm thinking I'll just give this one a hard pass.

message 11: by Emmah (new) - added it

Emmah I loved EE, but omg, this book was so DULL.

message 12: by sreeja (new) - added it

sreeja your review was so honest and entertaining! i can see where you're coming from i too HATE insta-love and after seeing your review i'm convinced that i will not like this book at all! how on earth did they fall in love in 8 hours thats just weird and borderline desperate, hope your next read is better :)

message 13: by ~Helaina~ (new) - added it

~Helaina~ I think I'll still read this book, but it also seems that I have very similar bookish tastes to you: in the respect that I have NEVER understood poetry (I too feel that it's overly pretentious), also the whole philosophical/existential-crisis thing (WHHY?) and Insta-love makes me shudder. Another hilarious review!!

message 14: by Yolanda (new) - added it

Yolanda Sfetsos Nope. You're not alone. I DNFd it. :/

Krista Lynn I finished this last night and I was incredibly underwhelmed by it. I'm so glad to see others felt the same. For a while I thought I was missing something. Haha.

Katherine THE INSTALOVE WAS THE WORST!

message 17: by Lina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lina Lundin Agreed on everything except I loved the side character POV's, they felt like a holiday from the swoony insta love story. Also as a girl who loves science this book annoyed the shit out of me. It felt like science people were seen as these cold emotionless people who only loved science because they didn't accept their emotional side etc etc. Sigh. That's a stereotype I've never heard before.

Elise (TheBookishActress) CUSTARD TARTS... Cait your reviews are my favorite ever. I have this on my shelf because I got it as a gift and I'm... kind of worried about actually reading it

As Hot As Jack Frost Whoops, accidentally recommended it to you cause it said you wanted to read it, but it turns out you already did.... Great review, though!

Mauve7 I AGREE 100%!!! Awesome review!

Stephanie It's like you read my mind.

Mariah Roze Our Diversity in All Forms Book Club is reading this for June. We’d love to have you join the discussion on it. :) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

beatrice Your review made me want to rethink my review because I had those "I know right" moments while reading your dislikes part... hmm... this is why I don't like reading reviews of other people (I easily get swerved if I see some good reasons) but I do it anyway because it's oddly satisfying.

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie BB Interesting. This book has been recommended to me, but I had not yet looked into what it is about etc. ... and a lot of what you complain about, would annoy me as well. Instalove makes me feel like I am a failure of a human being... and, yeah... I dunno. You have yet to steer me wrong, Cait! (though... I have yet to read anything that your review scared me away from ;) ) I got to much to read to read something I might find aggravating!

message 26: by Ellie (new)

Ellie So many people have recommended this book to me but after reading Everything Everything, I'm not sure I'll agree with them... at least I know I wont be alone if I don't like it!

Rebecca Oh yeah. And that study he references in falling in love? The one with the questions and then the looking in each other's eyes for four minutes. That's a real study. It was performed at the university of Berkeley I think. It's even referenced in the show the Big Bang theory. Sheldon and penny do it. Lol. Just in case you didn't know.😀

message 28: by Gabby (Sagalu) (new)

Gabby (Sagalu) "And I can't swallow all these "it's fate and I'm in love with you" lines because I'm too busy rolling my eyes so far they've fallen out of my head and rolled across the floorboards."
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I mean, I haven't read this book, but man, I've felt this with so many books! Spot on! Love your reviews!

Vaishnave "I feel this way about IKEA bookshelves" SAME