Ryan Rebel's Reviews > Fables & Reflections

Fables & Reflections by Neil Gaiman

Jun 11, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended to Ryan by: Mr. K
Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys a good story.
Read 2 times. Last read June 11, 2011.

This is the second time I've read this particular entry in the Sandman series, and it doesn't cease to amaze. It's no wonder an issue of Sandman won the World Fantasy Award (I believe that's what it was called) much to the chagrin of many purists who refused to accept graphic novels as a viable medium. The fact is, Sandman is scads better than almost all of the traditional books I have ever read.

This particular compilation is a must read, particularly for history lovers, particularly for those interested in great rulers. It explores storytelling through fictionalized takes on historical figures from Augustus Ceaser to Marco Polo to Adam and Eve to Robespierre, while maintaining a refreshing respect for the actual history it draws inspiration from.

Not only is the mythology cool, but the dialogue isn't just meaningless mystical-sounding dribble--its unparalleled in its depth. The characters are also incredibly interesting and well-developed. At one point, I found myself profoundly attached to a character who only appeared for about two or three pages. Keep in mind that this is a graphic novel, so the pages go fast.

The art style is stunning and fits the stories perfectly. The Sandman himself is always a sight to behold across the ages. A particularly incredible rendering of the city of Baghdad in its magical, historical splendor comes to mind as the breath-taking artistic highlight.

I can't say enough good things about this series. Find these books, begin at Volume 1, and read them straight through. Each volume gets progressively better, and I cannot wait to finish off the series myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables & Reflections.