Melanie's Reviews > Patchwork Dreams

bookshelves: amish, review-books

Patchwork Dreams
The Amish of Seymour
By Laura V. Hilton

In Jacob’s parents eyes, he is flirting with danger when it comes to his relationship with Susie, Amish, but becoming more and more worldly. Jacob is sent to a distant cousin’s house in Missouri, his parents tell him it is to help out his cousin for a time. Really his parents have sent him there to forget about Susie and bring new Amish blood to the area.
Jacob meets distant cousin Becky and is instantly drawn to her, and takes it upon himself to get her to learn to smile again. Becky feels forsaken by the world and her involvement with an Englisher that had left her shunned for several weeks, and never really brought back into the fold of the church. Jacob and Becky’s friendship begins and as time goes on they realize there is much more to it than that.
Drama and conflict is thrown in with an elderly widower wanting to woo Becky, Jacob’s Susie coming for a visit, and running into the Englisher who brought so much heart ache.
A novel of forgiveness and redemption, centered in the Amish culture in Missouri, was a beautiful summer read.
I really enjoyed that the setting for this novel was somewhere other than Pennsylvania. I felt a new dimension was able to be added by researching a different group of Amish, and showing us a change of scenery. The characters were well developed and likeable. I often found myself rooting for Jacob, and wanting to shake Becky into realizing how good he was for her! There really are a lot of amish fiction novels presently on the market, many of them seeming very similar and familiar to each other. I found this one to be different enough that it kept my intrique and kept my fingers turning the pages.

I received this book free from Whitaker House in order to review it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patchwork Dreams.