kfactorreads's Reviews > The Wedding Girl

The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham

Jun 11, 2011

Read from June 12 to 14, 2011

At age 18 Milly was up for anything, but now 10 years later she is a different person. She is about to marry a wealthy, serious. caring man, but a secret from her past comes back to cause her a great deal of trouble.

I have read the majority of works by Sophie Kinsella and have enjoyed them. I don't read many chick-lit books, but when I do I think these are a great choice. They are quick, fun reads that make you laugh! So when I saw that her real name is Madeleine Wickham I had to check out those books. This is the first Wickham book that I read and I thought the book would be a lot like the Kinsella books but I was wrong. There are elements that are a lot like Kinsella's books, but there are some major differences.

The Wedding Girl although funny at times is a lot more serious and deep than the Kinsella books. I liked this a lot because not all of the characters are flat! Also, this book isn't very predictable. When reading it I thought "Oh, well this will just happen and everything will be fine" but I was wrong! There are a lot more problems and conflicts that arise. Similar to the Kinsella books they do have a pretty happy ending which I'm not complaining about! It is good to have a perfect ending once in a while! :)

Unlike Kinsella's books The Wedding Girl switches perspectives of different characters. Also there are many different topics covered such as marriage,abortion, homosexual relationships, and family problems. They are discussed in depth and make you think.

Something that I absolutely loved was the shocking discoveries in this book. There were times that my mouth was hanging wide open! I had no idea what was coming in this novel. It was very neat that by the end of the book different character's stories were all connected and everything was connected in some way.

I really liked the cover of this book, but I didn't think it fit the book very well. I don't know that's what I thought.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Overall Rating

9.3/ 10

*I have heard that this book is the best out of the other Madeleine Wickham books so maybe I just was lucky to buy this one! I'm sure I will check out some of her other novels though.

kfactorreads.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Girl.

06/13/2011 page 89