Cassandra's Reviews > A Ring of Endless Light

A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle

Jun 11, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, reviewed, y-a-lit, the-masters, for-mom, magical-realism
Read on January 03, 2012

In my opinion one of L'Engle's most underrated works--Equal parts endearing coming-of-age story, philosophical exposition of life's meaning, and stirring poetry, this is a heartrending and provocative contemplation of death, and how it fits into life, playing out against a backdrop of lulling ocean waves and the joy of dolphins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ring of Endless Light.

Quotes Cassandra Liked

Madeleine L'Engle
“Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.”

Madeleine L'Engle
“The earth will never be the same again
Rock, water, tree, iron, share this greif
As distant stars participate in the pain.
A candle snuffed, a falling star or leaf,
A dolphin death, O this particular loss
A Heaven-mourned; for if no angel cried
If this small one was tossed away as dross,
The very galaxies would have lied.
How shall we sing our love's song now
In this strange land where all are born to die?
Each tree and leaf and star show how
The universe is part of this one cry,
Every life is noted and is cherished,
and nothing loved is ever lost or perished.”

Madeleine L'Engle
“It's hard to let go anything we love. We live in a world which teaches us to clutch. But when we clutch we're left with a fistful of ashes.”

Madeleine L'Engle
“If we all knew each morning that there was going to be another morning, and on and on and on, we's tend not to notice the sunrise, or hear the birds, or the waves rolling into the shore. We'd tend not to treasure our time with the people we love. Simply the awareness that our mortal lives had a beginning and will have an end enhances the quality of our living. Perhaps it's even more intense when we know that the termination of the body is near, but it shouldn't be.”

12/02/2016 marked as: read