Pat Amsden's Reviews > Lady of Devices

F 50x66
Jun 11, 2011

bookshelves: steampunk
Read in June, 2011

This was a very good book. When the heroine, Lady Claire Trevelyan finds her family ruined, instead of the sparkling debut into society expected of her, she must make her own way through her wits and chance. Her schooling and interest in science has helped her develop skills unknown in the underworld and together with a small troupe of followers she becomes a leader.

This book sticks to the steampunk genre by keeping the detail of Edwardian society the same as you would expect but changing detail so mail is delivered by pneumatic tube for example. But where a new, and for me, a twist I really liked, came in was in the way she did blend in the Dickensian consciousness with Claire becoming a leader of a small band of children who had nothing. They started out living in an abandoned shack, sleeping on a pile of rags if they were lucky and only enough food to eat if they could manage to steal it or something they could sell for food. With Claire's help in learning poker, along with fortune and chance they end up living in a nice house with clothes fine enough to be worn by the Royal family.

I think you'll enjoy this book whether steampunk is a genre you normally read or you just want an entertaining, well plotted book with excellent characters. I'll be looking for more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Devices.