I.A. Ashcroft's Reviews > Daughter of the Sun

Daughter of the Sun by Zoe Kalo

Recommended for: Mythology lovers, YA readers, people who like Percy Jackson and the like

I was gifted a review copy of this book, and wow, I'm happy I was. This has been a delight to read, from beginning to end. Do you love mythology? Adventure? Cats? You'll love it. Kalo is a talented writer, and I entirely look forward to the next books in this series.

Here's some details, if the glowing praise above isn't enough. Trinity, the star of the book, is a teenager with a seething temper under the surface, demanding answers no one will give her, unsure of her place in her increasingly bizarre and magical world. And while she struggles to harness her anger, she's still compassionate and brave, bright and interesting. She's easy to relate to and root for, even as her developing powers try to chip away at her physical humanity.

The villain of the work, sinister, cold, casually cruel Dr. Nassri, is a force of nature a reader learns to fear. She's never over the top, her motives and means expertly revealed in small doses, never totally showing her hand until the climax. I'm terribly curious if any of this calculating and ruthless creature will show itself in her daughter Ara, one of Trinity's few possible friends on the Island of Cats, a good young woman who always wanted her mother's love.

There's so much here in this tale, so much intrigue and mysticism, all well told, the pace never lagging. The characters all feel well developed. I haven't read a YA tale I've liked this much in a long time. It's also intelligent writing. If I did have one critique, the romance component didn't really do it for me, but very little YA romance does—instant, intense physical chemistry without what feels like real feeling behind it. Eh. I can past that, though, and couldn't really put the book down from when I picked it up. And there's so much more this series can explore, from the love interest's dark family history to who the darker masterminds behind Dr. Nassri are. I won't give away spoilers, but this book is very comfortable with letting its protagonist evolve in huge ways, and I can only be excited to where her next adventures lead.

Keep writing Kalo! I'm honestly into this more than I was into the Percy Jackson series, my previous high standard of YA mythological fantasy.

This Review is a part of the Blogger Outreach Program by b00k r3vi3w Tours

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Sun.

September 13, 2016 – Started Reading