Helle's Reviews > Hvor intet bryder vinden

Hvor intet bryder vinden by Leonora Christina Skov

bookshelves: danish, crime-mystery

(3.5) Spændende, velskrevet, langt ude, sarkastisk, mandefjendsk, dømmende (egne personer), fin reference til Agatha Christie, tab af højde mod slutningen. Ikke sidste gang jeg har læst Leonora Christina Skov, men jeg kunne godt tænke mig lidt flere tanker, lidt færre intriger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hvor intet bryder vinden.

September 13, 2016 – Started Reading
September 13, 2016 – Shelved
September 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Helle Jean-Paul wrote: ""A little more thought and little less intrigue" sounds like a perfect motto which could be applied to many things in life, Helle :)"

Oh, you are sweet, Jean-Paul, having (one must assume) bothered to google translate this (though, come to think of it, your ear for languages might have enabled you to decipher my strange mother tongue; regardless: that is smartness). And yes, that does rather sound like a motto which, if taken seriously, could rescue a lot of situations in life, not to mention add depth to some of the literature out there (though that is of course a matter of taste and shouldn't be perceived as arrogant!)

message 2: by Redkitsune (new)

Redkitsune I read your review trying to remember the few things I've learnt in swedish, and then I got a little help from Google as well ;-)

message 3: by Seemita (new)

Seemita "Exciting, well written, far out, sarcastic, judicial (own people), fine reference to Agatha Christie, loss of height toward the end. Not the last time I have read Leonora Cristina Skov, but I would like a little more thoughts, a little less intrigue."

If this translation is correct (which I am assuming is, seeing Jean-Paul's comment), I mark it as remarkably well summarized, Helle! Not many thoughts there? I have got yours to compensate :)

message 4: by Dolors (new)

Dolors Thanks everybody for translating this galloping, pithy review! Helle, your power of articulation knows no language barriers! ;P

message 5: by Matthias (new)

Matthias It's a language that's beautiful to look at in any case :-)

Helle Redkitsune wrote: "I read your review trying to remember the few things I've learnt in swedish, and then I got a little help from Google as well ;-)"

Thanks, Redkitsune. Yes, knowing some Swedish will help in the understanding as well :-)

Helle Seemita wrote: ""Exciting, well written, far out, sarcastic, judicial (own people), fine reference to Agatha Christie, loss of height toward the end. Not the last time I have read Leonora Cristina Skov, but I woul..."

Ha, thanks, Seemita. Well, actually, there are thoughts, they just seem to be of the somewhat far out variety, though I applaud the author for putting together some (unlikely) plot strings and motivations for various intrigues.

Helle Dolors wrote: "Thanks everybody for translating this galloping, pithy review! Helle, your power of articulation knows no language barriers! ;P"

Thank you, dear Dolors. Well, sometimes a few select sentences/words feel exactly enough. Also, I didn't have much time :-)

Helle Matthias wrote: "It's a language that's beautiful to look at in any case :-)"

Oh, Matthias, I have to say you're the first to say that about Danish! It's an altogether different kettle of fish to hear it spoken - but I imagine you've perhaps heard it spoken? (I think 'foreigners' sometimes group Danish and Dutch/Flemish together - equally incomprehensible and suffering from the hot-potato-in-the-mouth syndrome).

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Fremragende! Smuk! (I tried to imagine saying that with a hot potato in my mouth, but am not sure I got it right.) Anyway, it's a delight seeing anything you post, Helle, even in one of those funny-to-foreign-ear languages. :-)

Helle Steve wrote: "Fremragende! Smuk! (I tried to imagine saying that with a hot potato in my mouth, but am not sure I got it right.) Anyway, it's a delight seeing anything you post, Helle, even in one of those funny..."

Ha, ha, ha, Steve! Delightfully shocking to see those words on my thread all of sudden. Not to be facetious but I don't think you'd get close to pronouncing those words even without a hot potato in your mouth :-) When I lived in the States, people couldn't even pronounce my name (it's like Helen, incidentally, only without the 'n'. Preferably with a light, Irish 'l', but I'm not picky. Simple, actually). Always lovely to hear from you, Steve!

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve :-) I see you've discovered that we Americans are not easily dispossessed of our mispronunciations. It's part of our charm as global citizens!