Jim Barton's Reviews > The Power and the Glory

The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

Jun 10, 2011

Read in June, 2011

I've always been a big fan of Greene, but the first three quarters of the story seemed to meander about aimlessly. Worst yet, I found the dialog without the usual quotes, tags and separate paragraphing difficult to follow. Inner monologue, dialog between characters seemed to be mixed in with narration. I had to re-read sections several times to make sure I correctly understood who was saying what. The first half also skipped abruptly between scenes without any extra line skips between paragraphs; although -- to be fair -- this might have been the formatting of my ebook edition.

The last part of the story, however, made up for the previously parts, making me glad I did not abandon the book during the rougher stretches. Without ever becoming maudlin or preachy, the story builds up stream to become a powerful lesson on faith and redemption. The ending actually left me thinking that maybe Greene deliberately made the first parts a struggle to read so that the reader's experiences would echo the struggles and final redemption of the main character.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power and the Glory.