Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2016

The Chalk Pit by Elly Griffiths is book nine in the Ruth Galloway series and I'm wondering if this series had done it's best for me and it's time to move on. It's a bit of a sad thought since I found the first books quite good, but this book and the one before has just not worked out so well for me.

The story in this book was not that bad, at first, for the first 40-50% of the book was it interesting to read about the murdered tramps and the missing women, but then the story started to drag and I found myself more and more annoyed with the characters in the book and their ignorance and intolerance. And, it hit me that I just don't like anyone except Cathbad and he was hardly in the story this time. There are so many times during the book's story that I find myself frustrated with the lack of religious understanding or plain ignorance. I don't even like Ruth Galloway especially much.

Then we have the ending that fell flat and was utterly boring. It is just not fun when you spend a day reading a book, and it feels like you have wasted the time. The archeology aspect was what drove me to start reading this book, but not even it feels interesting anymore. Now, I'm not even sure if it's worth reading future books and as I said before it's a bit sad when a series you have enjoyed just doesn't work anymore...

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Pit.

September 11, 2016 – Shelved
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 11, 2016 – Shelved as: want-to-read-2017
November 28, 2016 – Shelved as: arcs
December 15, 2016 – Started Reading
December 16, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 17, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Gwen (new)

Gwen Mayne I got to page 57 and gave it away. Are these books written for young adults??!!

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Pauline wrote: "I felt exactly the same and for me this will be my last Ruth novel. It felt very samie: Ruth finds some bones, Nelson gets involved, there's a murder, Nelson is injured and Ruth happens to be there..."

Yeah, I used to enjoy this series, but now feel that the books just doesn't work for me anymore.

Vicki I'm in total agreement. What about the ending... the lack of development, details, and suspense. The love- making scene was laughable... written in one sentence. No more Elly books for me. Try the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn... well developed and so suspenseful.

Elise Wow, I thought the ending was great--the last sentence, as the Kirkus review said, left me "yearning" for the next one. Also, I realized that the character, Ruth, is intolerant of her parents' religion because of conflicts in her youth and what she perceives as their being judgmental, although I thought the part about her family and her mother's illness seemed thoughtfully written. Also, the love relationships in this book don't reflect my life, but they seem to ring true for the characters and I can't help "feeling" the bond between Ruth and Nelson. I thought that Ruth's religious "intolerance" juxtaposed with the work the churches were doing to help the homeless was also interesting.

Richard Howard Sadly, I agree. Does anybody else find the depiction of the female characters disturbing? They all seem defined by their interaction with men and are either beautiful and decorative or worthy and dull. Except for Tanya, the sole lesbian, who is mocked for being ambitious.

message 6: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul I enjoyed the earlier books but this and the previous one I thought were quite awful. She seems to have lost the art of closing the book out. Everything seems rushed and the plotlines are becoming risible. I'm done with this series.