Siv's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

"How had it begun? Like everything: with mothers and fathers. Because of Lydia's mother and father, because of her mother's and father's mothers and fathers. Because long ago, her mother had gone missing, and her father had brought her home. Because more than anything her mother had wanted to stand out; because more than anything, her father had wanted to blend in. Because those things had been impossible" (p25).

This book is so deftly nuanced and deeply insightful that it's hard to believe it's a debut novel. Wow.

I read this alongside my teenage son, who read it for his English class, so that we could discuss it. I'm so glad I did - we've begun ongoing conversations on many of the topics the Lee family couldn't touch - but it also changed my reading of the book. I felt the dynamics differently in my gut to know that my son was reading the same material. That he might identify with Lydia, or Nath, or Hannah. Am I more like Marilyn or James, or does he see me more like one or the other? This one is going to stick in my mind for a long time to come.

From the interview with the author: "Any act of writing is an act of empathy: you try to imagine yourself into another person's mind and skin. I tried to ask myself the questions the characters would have asked themselves."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

September 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read