Daniel's Reviews > Chasing the Dragon

Chasing the Dragon by Nicholas Kaufmann

Jun 10, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read on June 10, 2011

"Chasing the Dragon" is a fabulous and fantastic novella. Nicholas Kaufmann brings dragons and the modern world together with superb plotting and surprising brevity, answering all of the questions that arise from his premise--such as: how does a dragon rampage across modern America and escape notice? What connects the slayer to the dragon? How can the slayer hope to fulfill her quest? He conflates the traditional phrase "chasing the dragon" with modern metaphor, and steers this linguistic feat past simple word-play into use as a genuine literary accomplishment.

In fact, "accomplished" is the best word I can think of to describe this novella. It is beautifully written, brimming with emotion, entertaining throughout, and fully satisfying. It is the kind of book that I wish came along more often.

Read this, and then tell your friends to read it and to further spread the word. Kaufmann deserves wide recognition for this wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing the Dragon.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You're reading this? I just bought it last night. Heh...went to the U-Book Store and picked up some books.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweet. I'll read this next. Looks like I blindly picked a good one last night.