Denise's Reviews > The Belgariad, Vol. Two: Castle of Wizardry / Enchanters' End Game

The Belgariad, Vol. Two by David Eddings

Jun 10, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: summer-reading, young-adult, pre-teen, recommended-to-me, fantasy
Read from July 19 to August 09, 2011

I had a really hard time getting through these books - and probably only did because a friend of mine lent them to me, insisting that they were his childhood, and I, as a general rule, never return a borrowed book unread, especially during the summer. And maybe, just maybe, if I had been much younger, I might have enjoyed this series, but I think I can safely say it would not be one that really stuck with me as I got older.

I could write an essay probably, about why this work as a whole failed for me but I'll sum it up as follows: Characters = Flat. Character Development = Non-Existent, or Forced. The hand of the author is all over this work, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but does not work when writing in a limited point of view. I half wonder if this story would be better told from a more omniscient view point. As to plot: it had potential. But it fails to live up to it. Things happen entirely too conveniently with people doing things just because it 'feels right' or they 'feel compelled to'. You know you've got a problem when the entire story is blatantly based around "I know something you don't know... na, nana, nana, NA." That is exactly the kind of plotting that gives fantasy writers a bad name in academic communities. But even outside of them, it produces unsatisfactory story and curbs any type of suspense because even when things look bleakest, readers can rest assured that something completely random will happen or some convenient loophole (that is usually not even a loophole...) will be found to change the tide of the story. Brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Belgariad, Vol. Two.

07/19/2011 page 35