Noelle's Reviews > Love Warrior

Love Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton

it was ok

This book just did not do it for me. I've read her blog some and her first book but this one just seemed to be choppy writing and SO much about her dislike of having sex. I generally enjoy her authenticity. I thought it droned on and on but clearly I'm in the minority on Goodreads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Warrior.

September 6, 2016 – Started Reading
September 9, 2016 – Shelved
September 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm having a really hard time with it. I've read her blog and enjoyed it but I wasn't too impressed with the writing. I just can't get into it.

Maurya I like your authenticity.

Noelle Thank you:)

Caroline (readtotheend on IG) so agree - CHOPPY!! i'm halfway and not sure if i want to continue....

Maurya BTW, wrote my own review of the book, would be curious in your thoughts.

message 6: by Keri (new) - added it

Keri I agree with all of you above. I loved Carry On, Warrior and her sense of humor that came through in that book. After reading Love Warrior I'm not sure I care to read anything further by Glennon.

Wendy Margarita I agree, her style of writing is more like a non stop run on sentence. BUT I also feel like she was writing in the same way that she speaks and obviously that doesn't always translate well on paper. I'm gonna finish the book, and now I'm interested in reading her other work that you say is better!

Linda Agree with you and Keri - I also rated this two stars. Loved her first book, but this one felt too much like a martyred mother story. I don't have kids, and just couldn't relate - this wasn't a problem with her first book.

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy I'm halfway through and not digging it either... for all these reasons everybody is mentioning. Loved her first book so much! I'm highly annoyed and kind of bored by this one.

message 10: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Lovely Glennon is brilliant. What courage she shares to help others. This book is a testament to humility, honesty and love. She is a brilliant writer and her work resonates to all who are able to listen and receive with an open and non/judgmental heart. That's all.

Patricia I agree with Noelle's opinion. I only started reading the book because it was recommended by Elizabeth Gilbert. Unfortunately, some of the problems I had with Eat Pray Love are also present in this memoir. At times it struck me as whiny and self-absorbed. The style was like just writing down your thoughts and feelings as you experience them, without editing or leaving out anything. Maybe this is fine if you keep a journal or a diary for your own reasons, or even for writing a blog. Besides, I felt like some parts of her story were fabricated anyhow. I can't explain it. I just think someone should have stepped in and asked her to rewrite parts of the book. Even with some changes, it still would have been authentic.

Lindsey Leichthammer I just finished it and I agree. The writing was a bit choppy and hit the same notes over and over. I also felt like it was whiny at times. Eye roll inducing also.

message 13: by Alma (new) - rated it 1 star

Alma I'd rather be in the minority!

Noelle So self-absorbed! I'm with you Patricia! Mary, definitely not judgmental here. I have friends with issues way more controversial than Glennon. Loved her other books - this one just didn't do it for me. No reflection on her as a person at all.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan So glad I found this thread. I am half way through and keep hoping she will give me a reason to like her and keep reading, but so far it just feels like a lot of whining and being a victim. I'm sure she has a great story to be told, but I'm not feeling how she's portraying herself.

Becky Sandham Mathwin I'm about halfway through as well and while I plan on finishing the book I don't like it thus far. She's annoying and so self absorbed plus there are some things that feel untrue/fabricated. She seems like a drama queen.

Ensley I agree Noelle! With hindsight, she disliked sex with men so much because she was repressing her true sexuality. I feel like the book would have been 1000 times better if it had been written once she and Craig really called it quits

Ensley I also feel like she went WAY over the top with her reaction to Craig's infidelity. Not that that isn't a huge deal, but I kept thinking "didn't you not really love him anyways?" when she was talking about her world being shattered

message 19: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Stern I agree with you. I loved it in the beginning, but towards the end I got tired of hearing about her struggles

Heather I agree with all of you! I'm half way through and I find her annoying .... I will finish it... I'm not a fan though

Charley Sze Halfway through and i struggled to continue. She annoys me. I don't like her. Obviously a lot of other women do because of what she is selling to them.

message 22: by Vita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vita I don't know why people reading about "real life struggles" alcoholism-bulimmia-drug abuse-depression- in a first person story would want to find it more "entartaining"! I find this troubling. Besides not liking the writing style that's anyone's prerogative, I'm guessing if it wasn't a "woman's" memoir no one would perceive this as "whiny". Ew.

Fahimeh I dont feel she is fabricating during the story that much. Instead, I feel she is preventing the real cause of her being hurt because of Craig's infidelity. I think she depended too much on him and made too much expectation of him and it was due to the lack of trust on herself. and that was because she didnt confirm her own being, being too much critical of her self troubled her this much. The problem is she doesnt mention this lack of confidence and trust and belief directly.