Debasmita's Reviews > As You Wish

As You Wish by Jackson Pearce

Jun 09, 2011

Wow. As You Wish is unbelievably good.The book is one roller-coaster ride-I just could not put it down!It made me stay awake till late at night,actually till dawn.The plot of the book is simple and uni-dimensional.There were no digressions and thank god for that!The plot is structured around the relationship and the development of the relationship between Viola and Jinn.Viola,the female protagonist was in utter distress after her break-up with Lawrence, and Jinn,the wish-granter, arrives to save her and fulfill three of her wishes which will stop her from making ‘invisible’.Her inability to wish straight-away causes a delay for Jinn to return to Caliban,his home and consequently buys time for a relationship to develop between the two.Neat and simple.

The book is fast-paced.There are no dull moments in the book.All the characters are real and relatable.I thought that maybe Viola will be a whiny girl who will whine and moan about the lack of a boyfriend in her life and she does,a tad little bit but she soon recovers.Such a relief!And Jinn!Ah!He is totally swoon worthy!A mythical creature with a golden heart!And even Lawrence,the ex-boyfriend-turned-gay-best-friend of Viola’s with his fierce loyalty is also very much relatable.I am quite fond of all the characters really.The characters mature and grow and it is such a pleasure to actually participate in that growth as a reader.Jackson Pearce writes has a strong voice and her narration is clear and uncomplicated.She offers a double narrative in the story with shifting point of views.Both Viola and Jinn narrate the story from their point of view in alternate chapters.No one has to use too much of their brains for the book.It is a light,bright and fun read.Simple but engrossing enough…the book is a page turner for sure.I recommend this book highly to any one who wants an easy and entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As You Wish.