Laura's Reviews > The Crash Detectives: Investigating the World's Most Mysterious Air Disasters

The Crash Detectives by Christine Negroni

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley

I had the same thoughts about this book as another reviewer: first, I thought the title was misleading and, second, I thought it could use some editing and a change in focus. The title Crash Detectives led me to think the book would be about the people who actually investigate plane crashes. Instead it's more of a scattered collection of stories about various airplane mishaps and, in some cases, the politics behind assigning blame. At times the book felt more like a summary of other people's books about air disasters rather than a complete narrative. I almost always wanted more details, either about the disaster itself, the crew, or the passengers. And I wanted her to tell me a story from start to finish rather than jumping away in the middle while acknowledging that she was leaving the reader hanging. If you know you're leaving me hanging, please don't. Also, the author inserts herself into the narrative at random times. I didn't find anything wrong with this on the face of it but if she was going to do so, I really wanted to know more. Who is she? How is she connected to the airline industry? What's her actual job or her expertise?

All in all, this was an interesting look at air disasters and mishaps and the airline industry's responses to disaster, but it felt like a keynote speech for an industry conference rather than a nonfiction book for the layperson.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crash Detectives.

September 9, 2016 – Started Reading
September 9, 2016 – Shelved
September 9, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
September 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Marcin Wichary This is a great review! I gave up on this for exactly those reasons.

Kirsten Martin Great review!

message 3: by Shelli (new) - added it

Shelli Thank you for this excellent review!