Bell's Reviews > The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

Mar 11, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: religion-spirituality-magical
Read in March, 2008

It's ait. Actually, I picked up the wrong book. (or, did I?) I meant to pick up Oprah's book club selection "A New Earth" also by Tolle.

I wasn't paying attention when I took this one. (or, was I?) JK

It's better than most self-help, spiritual books. It's more thorough and its question-answer format is helpful for the most common questions Tolle has been asked over the years. It's clearly and simply written so that the depth of his message is understandable, but not diminished.

A person has to be in the mood to read this type of book, though. It's also better to have a teacher or group to practice with (whether it's meditation, or just studying this book) so that there's constant practice involved and so that communication can occur when an obstacle arises.

I've learned a lot of what he's mentioned in previous religious studies, though he doesn't want to relay his message as a religious one. He believes that all religions contain these teachings, but humanity has moved away from the crux of enlightenment and moved towards more divisive religiosity, superiority.

"A New Earth" is next...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Now.

08/16/2016 marked as: read