Rosamund's Reviews > Hera Lindsay Bird

Hera Lindsay Bird by Hera Lindsay Bird

liked it
bookshelves: poetry, antipodean, lgbtqi, read-2018

Ugh. I am really self-conscious about evaluating poetry. I usually think "I don't not like it, but also, am I just pretending to like it?"

I carefully took in each line, each simile. I read some of them aloud to myself, and sometimes found myself laughing unexpectedly. I could feel many of the poems, but not necessarily on a profound emotional level, more on a "come to think of it, I can see why that weird comparison totally makes sense" level.

It wasn't until I watched a video of a guy reading and analysing 'Keats is Dead So Fuck Me From Behind', which is apparently her "hit", that I started to think, okay, maybe there is some subtext here that goes deeper than just pouring out the contents of your imagination.

Like, I would be happy to read something else by her and she obviously seems very clever, but I'm not dazzled? Is it because I don't feel at ease with poetry? Is it because of where I am in life? Is it because I just need to chill out?

Anyway, just in case anyone is wondering why I "only" gave it 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hera Lindsay Bird.

Finished Reading
September 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 8, 2016 – Shelved
September 8, 2016 – Shelved as: poetry
August 21, 2018 – Shelved as: antipodean
August 21, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtqi
August 21, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Vanessa I've got a copy coming in the mail so you can read it after me if you like :)