Shelly's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: austen, classics, my-all-time-favorites, nook-books
Read 2 times. Last read June 3, 2013.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Jane Austen
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

Jane Austen
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

Jane Austen
“He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman's daughter. So far we are equal.”

Jane Austen
“Now be sincere; did you admire me for my impertinence?"

"For the liveliness of your mind, I did.”

Jane Austen
“I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.”

Jane Austen
“Till this moment I never knew myself.”

Jane Austen
“Yes, you know enough of my frankness to believe me capable of that. After abusing you so abominably to your face, I could have no scruple in abusing you to all your relations.”
-Elizabeth Bennet”

Jane Austen
“An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.”

Jane Austen
“Books--oh! no. I am sure we never read the same, or not with the same
feelings."

"I am sorry you think so; but if that be the case, there can at least be
no want of subject. We may compare our different opinions.”
tags: books

Jane Austen
“Yes," replied Darcy, who could contain himself no longer, "but that was when I first knew her; for it is many months since I have considered her as one of the handsomest women of my acquaintance.”

Jane Austen
“Had Elizabeth been able to encounter his eye, she might have seen how well the expression of heartfelt delight, diffused over his face, became him; but, though she could not look, she could listen, and he told her of feelings, which, in proving of what importance she was to him, made his affection every moment more valuable.”

“Obstinate, headstrong girl!”

Jane Austen
“I certainly have not the talent which some people possess, of conversing easily with those I have never seen before.”

Jane Austen
“I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.”

Jane Austen
“I do not find it easy to talk to people I don't know.”
Fitwilliam Darcy, Pride and Prejudice

Jane Austen
“Elizabeth had never been more at a loss to make her feelings appear what they were not. It was necessary to laugh, when she would rather have cried.”

Jane Austen
“The loss of virtue in a female is irretrievable - that one false step involves in her endless ruin - that her reputation is no less brittle than it is beautiful - and that she cannot be too much guarded in her behavior towards the undeserving of the opposite sex.”

Jane Austen
“Elizabeth's spirit's soon rising to playfulness again, she wanted Mr. Darcy to account for his having ever fallen in love with her. 'How could you begin?' said she.
'I can comprehend your going on charmingly, when you had once made a beginning; but what could set you off in the first place?' 'I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

Finished Reading
June 9, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 3, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: austen
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: classics
January 26, 2016 – Shelved as: my-all-time-favorites
January 28, 2016 – Shelved as: nook-books
September 29, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
September 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
September 29, 2017 – Shelved as: austen (Paperback Edition)
September 29, 2017 – Shelved as: classics (Paperback Edition)