Nicole Field's Reviews > Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time

Sep 08, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

NetGalley Review

I was really excited to read this anthology. Far too many books about persons of colour aren't written by the people they are representing. And to add to it, this book was specifically LGBTI? I was hooked. I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem I found was the order of the first four stories, put together in such a way that it seemed all the contributions to this anthology were a bit sameish. That's not the fault of the contributors, of course, but it made an inescapable first impression. The variety did, however, pick up in the second half of this anthology.

This is also the first anthology of LGBTI fiction I've ever read that had more lesbian romances than gay ones, a fact that made me incredibly happy.

There were several stories in this anthology that stood out for me:

It's not very often that the trope of waking up and finding it's all been a dream is a good move, but what about when that's stated at the beginning to be part of the plot? David A. Robertson's sci-fi short set in the not too distant future tells a story of a girl finally finding the courage to call the girl she likes.

The one that immediately follows that, The Boys Who Became the Hummingbirds tells an origin story filled with hope and just generally stayed in my mind. I think that's my favourite one from the set.

Another sci-fi/lesbian story in this anthology was by Darcie Little Badger telling the story of a romance builds between a pilot and a vet during a space voyage between Earth and Mars.

The final one that really stuck in my mind well after I'd finished the anthology was an incredibly short story of self love of someone who's just starting the second part of their transition from male to female.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time.

September 8, 2016 – Started Reading
September 8, 2016 – Shelved
September 8, 2016 –
23.0% "Amazing and gentle opening to the anthology with aliens in the background of a more or less present time. An unnamed narrator tells a slightly different story of romance and hope to someone else."
September 8, 2016 –
29.0% "A short and sweet first person story about a boy coming to know he's two-spirit and that that's okay."
September 8, 2016 –
42.0% "A virtual reality "vacation" gives a seventeen year old girl the courage to call the girl she met at a coffee shop."
September 8, 2016 –
47.0% "A story telling how Strange Boy and Shadow Boy became one and the same: The Hummingbird Boys, sharing what they had learned with the People, opening the hearts of others to be free of fear and be themselves as well."
September 8, 2016 –
62.0% "A romance builds between a pilot and a vet during a space voyage between Earth and Mars."
September 8, 2016 –
71.0% "A really interesting take on the separation between science and religion where it comes to transition vs. two-spirit individuals."
September 8, 2016 –
85.0% "Interesting comparison between future tech and being a non citizen vs. being trans or of colour."
September 8, 2016 –
97.0% "Sweet romance between two girls."
September 9, 2016 – Finished Reading