Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > The Reapers are the Angels

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell

Jun 09, 2011

Read from December 25 to 28, 2011

This book was most awesometasticla!!

You know those books that want to ROMANTICIZE every last thing down to the very last lint ball? Sometimes those things drive me insane. Sometimes I just want a story... TOLD LIKE A STORY!!

Well buddy, I got it with THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS.

I don't know if it's because it was told by a man, or maybe because it's told in 3rd person, but it was told right. I never got board. And I never once thought these two or that two or those three were going to fall in love or bicker or you know... birds were going to sing while someone did housework.

It was just most AWESOME!!

The Plot
It's about a girl named TEMPLE who lives out on an island. She's 15 years old but has the street smarts of someone at least twice her age. One day her island gets a floating zombie and she decides it's time to find a new home. That's when she runs into the most awesome adventure EVER!! Like... EVER!! I can't even describe it all. There's all these adventures she has and all these colorful characters that she meets. I'm sure this would make a fantastic movie!

Greta's Thoughts
The wording of the story is what I liked the best. It's simple and yet makes you think about everything. I loved it!

The idea of everyone dying and coming back as a zombie (in my opinion) was pretty unique. Normally you have to get bit or maybe you get a cold... but in this one you just die and come back when you're ready. I loved that. And I also loved the idea that you just have to do a bit of this and that to keep the dead from becoming the undead.... but you better hurry up or you might become dinner.

My favorite characters were the hillbillies that Temple ran into on her way through either Louisiana or Mississippi. I felt they were some of the most creative characters that I have read ever since reading Silas by Robert Duperre. Very very imaginative! Loved them... even though if I met them in real life they probably would scare the tar out of me.

The Little Red Riding Hood scene towards the end just about killed me. I squeed like a little girl. (that's right... squeed)

I also enjoyed all the religion in this story. I figure that was probably very much needed. If the world has gone to pot, the tv is out of cable, and zombies are munching at my brain then I figure it must be comforting to believe in a slick god ;)

I also very much enjoyed the relationship between Temple and Moses was in a way romantic if you ask me. I don't think they wanted to let each other go even though they were sworn enemies. It reminded me of Batman and Joker in the Dark Knight.

For the kids?
I don't recommend it to the kiddies because there is a bit of hanky panky but not a bunch. I just wouldn't want to know that my 14 year old is reading it but I know it wouldn't scar him. It just depends on hip and cool of a parent you are. Also, there isn't much cussing but there is a bit.

Overall
This is a very refreshing zombie book. It won't keep you up all night trembling in fear but it will give you something to think about when you go to bed. I know I'll be thinking about this book for days to come. If you love zombies and a good story, then this book is for you!!

Extra Reading
I you have read THE REAPERS ARE THE ANGELS and enjoyed the story then might I recommend "Silas" by Robert J. Duperre. It too is jam packed with an adventure that is out of this world!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reapers are the Angels.

12/25/2011 page 39
17.0% "This is amazing! I love how it's told. Mainly narrative and it reminds me of Cormac McCarthy's "THE ROAD" in the way it is done. Already, I know it is going to be most awesome. I did think that my 14 year old would be ok reading this but I already know it won't be. But hey! I'm older than him so Nana Nana Boo Boo ;)" 4 comments
12/27/2011 page 113
50.0% "Temple reminds me of the girl off True Grit. Anyone else feel that way?" 1 comment
12/27/2011 page 151
67.0% "You ever seem that episode of the X-files about the two brothers and the Mom and how they were mutant looking things? Whenever I read about 'stuff' like that I always think about that episode."
12/27/2011 page 185
82.0% "I'm real curious about Moses and Temple. I kinda think it's going to be like a Joker/Batman relationship. They can't get rid of the other (I'm trying to be cryptic) because of the draw to one another."

Wendy Darling I am so excited that you loved this! Yay. :) Thanks for the rec, too!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Wendy Darling wrote: "I am so excited that you loved this! Yay. :) Thanks for the rec, too!"

Yes sir re hillbilly bobby! I loved it and can't wait to send it to Darkfallen so she can read it too.

I hope you enjoy Silas! It's a real good book! I couldn't put it down!

Wendy Darling Dude, you have to read Angelfall. It's so, so good! And perfect for a zombie lover, although it has no zombies in it. (view spoiler)

Greta is Erikasbuddy OMG!! I must read!! Thanks for REC!

Wendy Darling You're welcome! Only 99 cents at the moment, so it's a hard deal to beat. :) It's making my top 10 list at the last minute.

Greta is Erikasbuddy WOAH!! It's that cheap!! Sweet!! Where? On Amazon?

Wendy Darling Yes, it's linked in my review. :)

Jason Great review. This might have been my favorite read from last year...

Greta is Erikasbuddy THanks Jason and Jordyn!!

message 11: by Buggy (last edited Jan 02, 2012 08:13PM) (new) - added it

Buggy Awesometastical review Greta, I've had this on the wishlist for a while now Happy to know its good... well awesome

Greta is Erikasbuddy Sha-weet!! Thankies! I hope you get a chance to reads it :)

Darkfallen Awesome review! And I love how you plugged Silas. Lol

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! Shamelessly, no doubt ;)

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Great review, Greta. I've had this on the to-read list for a while now. I think I'll get a copy on my next book order (after Valentine's day). You haven't read Angelfall yet? Go get it now!

Greta is Erikasbuddy I'm reading ANgelfall right now ;)!!!!

message 17: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars