Katrina's Reviews > The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish

The Sufi Book of Life by Neil Douglas-Klotz

Jun 09, 2011

Recommended for: anyone interested in meditation
Read from June 20, 2011 to January 20, 2012 — I own a copy

I started reading this back in June, in the way the author recommends, which is to just randomly open the book and read about one of the 99 names of God. Each chapter/name includes a mystical interpretation of the name, a little story or commentary on how that quality/name may play a role in our lives, a commentary on the linguistic roots of the name that relates it to Aramaic and Hebrew (showing connections between Islam, Christianity, and Judaism), and then a short meditation one can do using the name to invoke this quality. Easy to read, the book presents Sufism in a way accessible to everyone, not just Muslims. After a while I decided I wanted to understand the names better and started reading them one by one in order rather than randomly, reading one per day. Now that I've done that I may go back to the author's suggestion and open randomly in order to find a short meditative practice for that day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sufi Book of Life.

05/16 marked as: read