Marleen's Reviews > Ricochet

Jun 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: bib-dilbeek
Read from June 12 to 19, 2011

Ricochet is a moderately enjoyable thriller (rating it between 2 and 3). The plot's just interesting enough to keep on reading. There’s a mystery in this novel about the major female character, Elise Laird, and about whether her motives are good or not. I found that aspect of the mystery intriguing, but I thought the author took too long in developing it. In my opinion there are too many long passages in the middle of this book where the police characters speculate about who did what, and why. Overall, something was wrong with the pace of the book. Normally, It never takes me a full week to read a “captivating” story. So based on that criteria I can only conclude I wasn’t that captivated, maybe I was even a bit bored.
I had two other problems with this story: One is that I don't buy the romance between Duncan Hatcher (the lead detective) and Elise Laird. It didn't make sense to me. What I could understand is that it was lust at first sight, but how could they fall in a deep lasting love after three conversations (which were actually police interviews?). No I don't buy that. The other problem was Elise’s long term plan, as explained towards the end, to go after Cato Laird and Savich (not going into details here as not give away spoilers), but either she very altruistic and idealistic, or she’s very stupid.
On the other hand, what I absolutely liked about this book was the quality of the relationship between the detectives Dee-dee and Duncan. There's a great sense of normalcy about these two co-workers. I liked the fact they were decent cops, who respected, helped and supported each other. Their interactions and dialogues seemed very real and were the best bits of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ricochet.

07/28/2016 marked as: read