C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Art of Feeling

The Art of Feeling by Laura Tims

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2017, contemporary, disability, mental-illness, read-2017, young-adult

I DO NOT EVEN HAVE WORD FOR HOW FREAKING GOOD THIS BOOK IS. It's absolutely one of my favourites of the entire year. How many times did I even laugh out loud?!?! Seriously it B R O K E my heart and also filled me with the absolute best feelings of squish and love and hilarity and I just....dude. This book. My favourite. This book.

+ I loved the contrast of girl-who's-always-in-pain to boy-who-can't-feel-pain.
And the disabilities aren't a background quirk. As Sam says: walking with crutches doesn't define her, but it is part of her and it's not to be ignored. <-- Super important. I also think it handled them all so well, so respectfully, and yet showed you how the world reacts (which they react shittily sometimes lets be real).

+ Did I mention it was. so. funny.
I'm not kidding I laughed 50 x million times. I aspire to write something as funny and heartbreaking as this.

+ Also it was super cool how it featured the MBTI personality types!
I don't think it'd hinder your enjoyment if you didn't know them, but I'm a bit obsessed with them too so YAY. (Also omg frikkin awesomeness I am the same type as Eliot and I KNEW IT from day dot.)

+ OK but Eliot and Sam? my SHIP OF SHIPS.
It's such a slowburn romance it's barely a romance. I'm like 99% sure Eliot is asexual. But that could just be a headcanon. Actually I headcanon that he's autistic too. (He reminds me SO much of Miles from Made You Up!) He has about 2% social skills and gets super obsessed with his hobbies (until he ditches them) and he's terrified of conversation and says EXACTLY what he's thinking with pure honesty. He is actually my favourite cinnamon muffin. He's horribly bullied too and like, can't feel pain, so he's always hurting himself on accident. And on purpose. HE IS A PRETENTIOUS AND BEAUTIFUL JERK WHO IS SO SALTY AND INTELLIGENT AND I LOVE HIM. Omg I need a moment. At least 12 moments.

+ Sam is also the. best.
She's on crutches after a car accident and in constant pain...and also like struggling with depression and survivor's guilt since the accident killed her mum. And like the balance of her witty interior monologue + her dark dark pain...it's so incredibly well written. Her voice is A+. I would honestly read 93898 books narrated by Sam. SHE IS THE KIND OF PROTAGONIST I RELATE AND LOVE.

+ Eliot tho.
I just. I just need to say.

+ Also the story has really high stakes.
There's like a little mini-high-school drug ring and a super complex bully (like I'm sitting on my face because of how COMPLEX ever. single. character. was) and then there's Eliot who could like accidentally direly hurt himself any moment. Also bullying. Also the question of who killed Sam's mum. ALSO MENTAL ILLNESS AND PHYSICAL ILLNESS AND PAIN.

+ And, peoples, the writing is clever.
Like it wraps and ties things in and foreshadows and I just???? This is clever writing, mate.

+ Also let's be real here: Tito is the best dog.
He's like this ugly little mutt with epilepsy who is keeping this family together. He also drools and pees everywhere and basically Sam & Co would rearrange the world for their little pupper. (view spoiler)

+ I mean, FEELINGS.
The characters WON me and the themes really smooshed my heart. Eliot and Sam's struggles were deep and complex and their dialogue was best. And I am just HERE for Sam protecting her delicate boyfriend and Eliot having zero social skills and meeting Sam's dad and saying "I WON'T GET HER PREGNANT". Also Sam carrying around bandaids for him. Also them being friends, learning to be friends, being precious.

Do I need to show myself out. omg I need to show myself out before I flail my head off.

*** QUOTES ***

"That is the ugliest thing I've ever seen," says Eliot. "When did you take it out of the dryer?"
"It's my dog," I grumble.

"Friends stick up for each other, at least according to wikiHow."
"You looked up friendship on wikiHow?"

"You know what we could do instead?" he asks me suddenly. "We could go get some teeth pulled. Or watch a romantic comedy. Or see if any local racoons want to give us rabies. I'm just brainstorming things that would be more pleasant than a party."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Feeling.

September 6, 2016 – Shelved
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2017 – Started Reading
September 20, 2017 –
page 33
9.82% "OMG THIS IS SO GOOD ALREADY???????"
September 21, 2017 –
page 161
47.92% "look I'm not even ashamed but this hardcover is YELLOW UNDER THE DUST JACKET and my bookstagram rainbows are freaking out with joy.

10/10 recommend this book for all your bookstagram needs.

#yesimashallowbookworm"
September 21, 2017 –
page 254
75.6% "Eliot has the same personality MBTI type as meeeeee. I CALLED IT FROM PAGE 1."
September 22, 2017 –
page 272
80.95% "Eliot: *monologues for 5mins on why parties are terrible wastes of time*
Sam: Please come.
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: mental-illness
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
September 22, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I wish we could rate reviews, because this one would be 5 stars!

message 2: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Hanna I need this book in my life. Like, yesterday.

message 3: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Great review! Must check it out

Samantha (WLABB) Now I am going to think about Tito.

Jessica Lewis I started this yesterday and am really liking it!

message 6: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke I actually want to read this after your review!

C.G. Drews @Jessica: Aww *blushes* THANK YOU.

@Jessica: This is the honest truth. EVERYONE NEEDS IT.

@Kate: It's so so worth it!!

C.G. Drews @Sam: (view spoiler)

@Jessica: Ahhh!!! I'm so glad. It's a real special one!

@Broke: omg my work here is done then. :')

message 9: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Which type do you have?? I'm INFJ.

message 10: by George (new)

George Jankovic Awesome review, Cait!

message 11: by July (new) - rated it 4 stars

July C. B I NEED to read this book. It sounds like a perfect read for me!

Booklover I was interested in this book, but haven't been reading much because of my workload. Then I saw how much you enjoyed it and picked it up on a whim. I absolutely ADORED it and it helped me start reading again. Thank you!

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Booklover: THAT LITERALLY MAKES MY DAY!! THANK YOU. <3 And so glad we both adored it. 😍

Elaine Margarette OMG your review got me to read this book especially when you mentioned Miles!! I loved my super awkward cupcake muffin son!!!

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Elaine: I also desperately need to reread Made You Up now!! Ahh <3

Ashley Chen I LOVED THIS BOOK TOO!

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Ashley: IT'S SO AMAZING.

message 18: by Abi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abi "it'S RAINING ON MY FACE" Hahaha but I understand, I'm sad too, ugh.