Dallas's Reviews > Outpost

Outpost by F.T. McKinstry

I do enjoy a good fantasy book, and I say a Good Fantasy book, and Outpost fulfilled all the requirements. McKinstry's solid world-building skills set the stage where otherworldly magical and ephemeral beings perform. McKinstry draws inspiration from mythical Nordic tales and brings these to the fore with her characters.

Millie, the Northern country girl has Pattern Sense, the ability to knit and bring things into being, and an innate magical ability to interact between worlds. Although the action centres around Arcmael, a warden to the Fylking, and Othin a patrolling Ranger and who is also Millie's sometimes lover, it is however, Millie who takes centre-stage in the magical and spiritual drama that is Outpost.

I'm looking forward to my next installment of Fylking.

The Fylking, those otherworldly and godlike beings, have all the trappings that you would expect eternal warriors to have: armour, swords, wisdom etc. Sometimes you see them, and other times you don't. Even if you can't sense their presence it is still there. They make their mark on a landscape studded with stony Gate Towers.

Outpost: The Fylking #1 is clever mix of mythical elements, faery tale, sword & sorcery, and romantic lust.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outpost.

September 6, 2016 – Started Reading