Christine's Reviews > Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms & Communities

Place-Based Education by David Sobel

Mar 11, 2008

bookshelves: teaching, spirit
Read in September, 2005

I love this book. If I were to start a school, it would be based mostly on the principles in this book. I would add more arts and foreign language though. Art for its own sake, but Edward Tufte (and even historical figures like William James maybe--the guy whose first day in a Harvard lab he had to spend drawing a fish...? I don't remember who that story was about...) makes the case for the need for visual arts in communicating scientific ideas. Back to this book...I also love the combination of connecting kids to the nature and the people of their community. So many times environmental activism seems in conflict with economic needs of people who live in the environment, but I think educating with both in mind would make it easier to create short-term win-win situations (after all those are the only ones that will allow long-term survival, because people are part of nature). So we need this kind of book and this kind of education now!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Place-Based Education.