Colleen's Reviews > Warbreaker

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Jun 08, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy

It's amazing how much character growth Brandon Sanderson managed to pack into one book. I usually find narratives that switch view points grating, mostly because there will be one character I particularly like and I'll always want to flip ahead to their narrative...but not in Warbreaker. All the characters, even secondary ones and 'bad guys', are nuanced and interesting (although I especially loved Siri and Lightsong).

As for the mechanics of the story - the politics, world-building, magical system, etc. - everything seems wonderfully detailed without the author resorting to information-dumping. The plot progresses naturally - though surprisingly - and the magic is so unique and fun to read about. Although the romance is a relatively minor aspect of the story, it was also one of my favorite parts.

It was so refreshing to read a fantasy that isn't bogged down by overly formal dialogue. The witticisms and humor interjected into the conversations add another level to an already enjoyable story. I don't usually laugh out loud when reading, but I definitely chuckled a few times while reading Warbreaker.

I honestly can't praise this book enough. Also, the cover is absolutely beautiful and really intriguing. Why is this girl's hair white? And she's breathing...rainbows? What's with the sword? Hopefully, future readers will have as much fun finding out the answers to those questions as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warbreaker.