James's Reviews > Guiding Light: Jonathan's Story

Guiding Light by Julia London

liked it
bookshelves: 1-fiction

Guiding Light was the longest running television soap opera, airing from 1937 to 1952 on radio, and then from 1952 until 2009 on TV. I became hooked on it the summer I turned 13 and had a lot of free time on my hands. I watched it for 15+ years, faithfully recording it on my VCR while I was at school and then when I went to college. It wasn't easy explaining why a 21 year old guy had to record a show on the VCR for an hour a day. And I would get crabby whenever I missed it!

By 2000, the show was on a decline, in part due to the months-long televised OJ Simpson trial. End result, Guiding Light pulled out all the stops to try and retain more viewership. One of those attempts was publishing a book about a few of the most memorable characters, and it was called Guiding Light: Jonathan's Story, by Julia London.

As I was a huge fan, I had to read it; however, if you only watched the show, and didn't know about the book, things were happening off screen to the characters that you never knew about. And that just felt odd.

When I checked my "read" books today to see what I needed to write a review on, this one showed up, and I saw that of about 1000 Goodreads friends as of today, 0 had read this book. Hilarious! So I'm not going to convince you to read it. And you're probably thinking...

All I can say is... when you love a TV show, you'll read anything about the characters. And while the book wasn't bad, it was just a bit odd for me to read it and then watch a different story line on TV. I applaud the show for trying this method tho!

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by. Note: All written content is my original creation and copyrighted to me, but the graphics and images were linked from other sites and belong to them. Many thanks to their original creators.

[polldaddy poll=9729544]

[polldaddy poll=9719251]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guiding Light.

Started Reading
January 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
September 6, 2016 – Shelved
April 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Wow, 15 years?! That's quite the commitment. Nice review, James. :)

James Thx! Yes. When I like something, I commit!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie I used to watch this story! I loved Josh and Reva. I did not know there were books!! Nice review, James.

James Julie wrote: "I used to watch this story! I loved Josh and Reva. I did not know there were books!! Nice review, James."

Yes, there are a few. I often seem them in the bargain rack at Barnes and Noble. If you can't find one, I'd be happy to send mine over for you to look thru.

Thx!

message 5: by Joey (new)

Joey Holy shit, Guiding Light!

James Joey wrote: "Holy shit, Guiding Light!"

haha, been a while?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows I used to love Guiding Light too. I don't have this book, but I do have Kim Zimmer's memoir called I'm Just Sayin"! I haven't read it yet, but I hope to soon.

James Very cool. I don't have that one myself. Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Kee Zee (new)

Kee Zee What!! I grew up on GL and Y&R! It’s been ages since I’ve watched but I have the fondest memories. Last night’s show would be our water cooler topic at high school the following day. Yes, I still know people from back home who shamelessly love soap operas. It’s nice to know that there are books and I may never read them, but this review was a welcomed trip down memory lane.

James It was a lifetime ago. Right? But they were awesome. I miss it. The book helped. Great story. Thx for sharing.