Megan's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

Jun 08, 2011

Read from June 08 to 29, 2011

I came upon this book happenstance while looking at the "It's your lucky day" section in our library that features popular books and authors. The Weird Sisters is the debut novel by writer Eleanor Brown. This novel uses a plural first person narrative style that I found so engaging and appropriate, a tale told collaboratively by three sisters in rural Ohio. Daughters of a Shakespearean professor, Rosalind, Bianca and Cordelia tell a bit about their childhood, but mainly of their adulthood, their strengths, failures, triumphs and acceptance of what their lives will become. Each daughter finds themselves converging back into the small college town they grew up in, saying they are home to help care for their ailing mother who has breast cancer, but also to lick their wounds from their failed paths. Each sister brings her own strength and character that I found summed up most appropriately by their ice cream orders. Rose - vanilla, ever practical, organized and realistic. Bean - banana split, showy, superficial yet sensitive. Cordy - swirl cone with sprinkles, bohemianic free spirit and the eternal child. It took me awhile to read this book because it really demanded attention I wasn't able to give and perhaps a little hard for me to get into. However, I kept going and was rewarded with a lovely story that left me feeling warm and fuzzy, reminiscent of Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic, I would recommend this book. If not for the story, you will at least brush up on your Shakespeare, lines of which are sprinkled throughout the entire text!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.