Inderpreet Uppal's Reviews > A Forgotten Affair

A Forgotten Affair by Kanchana Banerjee

A Forgotten Affair is a deep, lyrical, and unsettling read for a love story yet it explores so many emotions and feelings as it shares another shade of love. Sagarika is struck in a world where everything is new, different and distant. No memories, domineering yet ambiguous husband, and a nonexistent family adds to her feeling lost as do the servants who spy. As she tries to make sense of her new self-obstacles litter her path.

The cover is what caught my fancy, so fresh, different and classy. The significance of the flowers, the reason for the title of the book and what is Sagarika truly searching for come through in the book. Kudos to Kanchana and HarperCollins, Harlequin imprint for this evocative cover.
On the surface, this book reads as a love story should. I felt the rage and pain that Rishab suffered as he fought to bring his wife from the brink of death. I felt the fear and sadness Rika experiences while she tries to recover, tries to love her husband and tries to remember what she is being told is important. Yet all is not what it seems, slowly the cracks appear and Kanchana entangles the reader in the abyss that Rika seems to be falling. Friends who want to help but are shut out. I could see the girl is in trouble, that the husband is definitely weird yet I could only read page after page, hoping for her safety, hoping for a miracle.

The book is fast paced, even as it is based in just one house where Rika is recovering, searching for the love she is reminded of, looking for the feelings she must have. Painfully, poignant as the pressure of words like ‘cheeni’ and fragrances, flashes of the past that threaten to bring her under as she struggles to find herself. I followed Rika eagerly as she stumbled and falters trying to find her life in an alien city.

There is infidelity, abuse, and neglect – rich or poor, these vices find means to entrench themselves. Deepa, the cousin who is too sweet. Roohi, the friend who seems so weird. Akash, the man who seems weak and strong at the same time – can he be trusted if her own husband is failing?

This book reminded me that like love, pain can go everywhere. Like truth, lies and deceit find home at the same places. A Forgotten Affair is a book to be savored, as it divulges the sinister human nature. What could have happened if she had not met with the accident, how far would the men in her life go to possess her?

The writing is very expressive, the conversation helps the story move and add a touch of reality to her story. This the first novel by Kanchana but it sure does not read like one with the smooth language, flowing sentences and crisp expressions.

What I felt that Akash and Rishab could have spoken. Shekhar was a friend but whose friend is he really? Sagarika really stands up for herself yet it felt a bit surreal. She was one lucky girl!

Instead of Jay, maybe Shekhar could have been more proactive saving the day. Also, I want to know Shekhar better, he plays an important role and I fell he has grown from a secondary character to an important one – I want to know his story. The mist is still lifting as Sagarika reacquaints with her life.

Kanchana and her writing left me with a good feeling, A Forgotten Affair is passionate, different and memorable. Read it to remember that the most important things in life are easily forgotten. Cherish them, cherish yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Forgotten Affair.

September 5, 2016 – Started Reading