Maverynthia's Reviews > Last Dragon

Last Dragon by J.M. McDermott

Jun 01, 2017

did not like it
bookshelves: apex-minions

I received this book from the Apex Book Minions program for an honest review.

TRIGGER WARNING: Talk of rape, Romani slurs, abuse

Honestly this book was a confusing mess to me. It jumps around in time and between people on occasion to where I just couldn't put the pieces together.
FIrst of all I don't really know who the main character is. I think her name is Zhan, but I'm not sure. I think she might be white, still not sure. Maybe Adel was?

As for diversity this book feels like it was using a checklist.
"Brown person - check
Gypsy - check
Red head - check
Autistic person - check"

Even so lots of people in this book are described as having dark or black skin, however it seems to be different than brown skin. As lots of the bad people are described as having dark skin and being cannibals.
There are even these types of descriptions "People with "nut brown" skin that speak like "frogs and chimpanzees" and have "slanted eyes". That's not the first time that description was used.
I also hope you like your Romani slurs as the word "gypsy" appears constantly when Staf Sru Korinyes shows up and then after that. Oh and she's infested with ants. I shit you not. It's why the 'gypsies' can sing so good is that they are a literal hive mind.
Then there is Partridge. Yeah that's his name. He's the autistic one that is constantly called "fool" and is beaten mercilessly into silence. Don't worry, they are both dead before the book is out. The book doesn't even describe Partridge all that much because "he was Seth's problem". Which is a damn cop out from the author considering how long this book is.
Next is Korinyes who is sexually assaulted into submission by Seth. Then they are suddenly totally soulmates or something. It was disgusting to read.
Adel is supposed to be a "strong warrior woman" but she's also threatened with rape from a "dark skinned mercenary" and needs saving by a man. She also breaks down and cries and then needs help from a man.

All this time I have no real idea what's going on in the book other than they are on some trek to somewhere. In the meantime the narrative jumps about like a stream of consciousness, first the characters are talking about one thing, then they are hungry. Damn if the characters aren't always starving and hungry. Many words are used to tell us this fact, and the fact they are freezing in the cold and how people are always puking all over the place and how gross and ugly everything is. This definitely want to be a GRIMDARK book. I do not like grimdark books.

Overall this book was a disjointed confusing mess and I really didn't understand what was going on as it jumped around between time, places and people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Dragon.

September 6, 2016 – Shelved
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: apex-minions
September 13, 2016 – Started Reading
September 13, 2016 –
1.0% "Reading this for the Apex Minions read.\nAlready eyes are "slanted" and skin color is "cinnamon""
September 14, 2016 –
4.0% "Let's see..\nKinky hair\nGypsies aaand\nSexual assault just to show how tough the protag is...\nNot really wanting to be on my high list.."
September 15, 2016 –
10.0% "This is very stream of consciousness-ly and it's hard to follow on top of this, the protag doesn't speak the language so the author has chosen to kind of write out basic sort of sentences that make little sense."
October 7, 2016 –
11.0% "People do realize that women squatted to have babies in the past right and the whole laying on your back thing is more recent, invented by men."
October 7, 2016 –
15.0% "Does any of this mind vomit really go anywhere? It's like an autobiography here and it's.. rather boring."
November 21, 2016 –
20.0% "OK I'm seriously not liking this book. Just had a man sexually assault a woman into liking him and of course it's for money. The writing is bad in my opinion too. Very disjointed."
December 19, 2016 –
30.0% "The author like to make sure you know this woman is a 'gypsy' despite it being another world and there being no Egypt.\nAlso I think I found the plot after meandering thought after thought."
April 7, 2017 –
32.0% "So there's this part where the femaleMC is all tough and strong and "I can do it myself" and then OF COURSE she's crying like a baby in the next paragraph and needs the man to help her."
May 4, 2017 –
46.0% "So I kind of understand what's going on now.. but.. I don't really know what the plot is about. This book is a mess."
May 15, 2017 –
48.0% "Great now there's an autistic kid that everyone wants dead. This is almost diversity bingo here."
May 16, 2017 –
51.0% "Nope.. just...nope"
May 18, 2017 –
53.0% "TE: Rromani slurs

This author REALLY LOVES to pepper this book with the word "gypsy" doesn't he."
May 22, 2017 –
60.0% "Now we've switched views AGAIN to another person and once again, I can't follow along what's going on in this book any more."
May 24, 2017 –
63.0% "People with "nut brown"skin that speak like "frogs and chimpanzees" and have "slanted eyes"

Seriously fuck off with this book."
May 25, 2017 –
64.0% "Penises... and sizes..... because we really needed to know that.

Also I get a feeling that the women are described more harshly than the men are."
May 25, 2017 –
66.0% "Like here a woman's breasts are described like "udders under a staggering cow""
May 25, 2017 –
70.0% "Our strong white warrior woman needs saving from a "dark skinned mercenary" by a man.

fuck this booook"
May 25, 2017 –
70.0% "Oh and of COURSE she has to cry too because... well.. because a white dude wrote this"
May 25, 2017 –
72.0% ""Women die the moment they are women. Their bodies taint the earth where they walk"

Considering all the rape and shit going on in this book.. fuck this shit..."
June 1, 2017 –
83.0% "Great now "gypsies" are bug infested people on top of all that "total mystery" shit and that is why the sing good. They are a literal hive mind. >_<"
June 1, 2017 – Finished Reading