C.G. Drews's Reviews > Let's Talk About Love

Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

You know what we need to talk about?! How absolutely ADORABLE this book is. Actually wait wait....adorkable is the better word. Because it's cute and fluffy and dorky and wholesome and my heart feels rather full right now. I shall sniffle happily in the corner.

I do kind of feel like it's more New Adult?! Like the GOOD kind of NA where you care about the characters and the plot lmao. But I'm guessing Alice was 19 (??) and life was all about how to adult and be in college and live on your own and etc. etc. And all the secondary characters were at least in their early 20s. So I'm shelving it as NA. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ None can stop me. Someone bring NA back and make it good like this.

Okay where do I even begin with the CUTENESS!?? First of all: Alice. She is amazing. She's actually so...real. Like she likes Pinterest, she says "squee", she is very much into tumblr and fandoms and she gets anxious and blurts things and she knows that food will cure all sorts of heartache. AND she's flawed. AND she's funny. Seriously Alice...I love her.

I was also super excited to read about an asexual main character!! FINALLY. There are not enough. (Pls rec me some if you have them!) Alice is also bisexual and has a girlfriend to start with. She loves romance, like really LOVES it. All the cliche romantic things, and snuggling and kissing. But she doesn't want sex. I think the book actually really explained a lot of aspects of asexualness really well! And Alice was still coming to terms with it. But it just...it was really nice to read (!!!) and also smashed those stereotypes that you have to have sex to want love. Those do NOT have to be connected!!

(Although I confess I actually hoped the book was going to be less romancey but it is literally the most romancey book ever. That was the point of the story!! And I loved that it unpacked how Alice wanted love, but not sex. Buuuut I would really someday like to read about an ace character who also doesn't want romance. RECS WELCOME PLS.)

Also Takumi was an adorable freaking gift to this world. I loved his and Alice's relationship. It's insta-attraction: but then the sloooowest slow burn that just makes YOUR HEART MELT.

There's also a huge emphasis on friendship. And I'm totally all heart eyes for FRIENDSHIP too. Alice's BFF are Feenie and Ryan (who are getting married) and they were both so complex and dynamic too. I loved how easily these three said "I love you" (platonically) and just how warm and cosy and epic their love/friendship was. This is the kind of friendship I craaave reading about. (Also reminded me of Radio Silence!!)

The plot is pretty quiet. It's like a Soft™ story where it's all focused on characters and emotions (AND FOOD). The pacing is perfect. <3 And it's actually not going to make you die of stress (WHICH IS NICE). I just loved the day-to-day life stuff as well. It's just proof that a book is excellently written when you'd literally read the characters going grocery shopping and that'd be great. I mean they DIDN'T go grocery shopping, but. I would've read it happily.

(Although holy heck; WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS SO RICH.)

Anyway: cute book is CUTE. And I thoroughly enjoyed this! The only reason it isn't 5-stars is just because so. much. romance (haha so ironic cait you dear fish) and so just pls go read this and fall in love with the SQUISH.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Talk About Love.

September 5, 2016 – Shelved
September 5, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2018 – Started Reading
March 17, 2018 –
page 152
50.0% "This is absolutely ADORKABLE. 😍😍"
March 18, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 18, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 18, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi awesome review, I'll definitely check this out! How about Tash Hearts Tolstoy? The protagonist is ace and the book doesn't focus on romance! :)

C.G. Drews I have read Tash Hearts Tolstoy! I liked that one too! (Although I felt it did focus on romance?? 😂)

message 3: by mags (new) - added it

mags How To Be A Normal Person by T.J. Klune features an ace main character and is one of my absolute FAVORITE books. I related so much to the asexual representation (the author himself is actually ace!!) and the humor is fantastic. I totally recommend it!

C.G. Drews OHHHH I'm very keen on that already!! Humour is like my favourite thing as well!

Simant | Flipping Through the Pages Wonderful review Cait. I so want to read it but prices 😭

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ Wow, I'm actually not sure I've heard of a single book with an aromantic main character... >_>

Tole Yeah i'm with you on 'would have been nice with less romance' but I'm okay with it because it did SUCH A GOOD JOB of showing how confusing different types of attraction can be when you are ace.

message 8: by Slaa!!! (new)

Slaa!!! One of the main characters in Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham is asexual! They don't really focus on it but the book is really good so I'm mentioning it anyway!!

C.G. Drews @Simant: Thank you!! Do you have a library you can request it from maybe?

@Stella: There's a secondary aromantic character in Summer of Salt!

@Tole: Exactly!! I really have no complaints because it was so cute and wholesome and really really needed for the ace community. I'm just less into romance myself. 😂

@Slaa: OH! I will look that up then!

message 10: by Tina Kacey (new)

Tina Kacey Glad you liked it! I really want to read this one!

Brooke Ooh yay!!! Also, just a couple friendly notes from your resident ace: it's biromantic not bisexual (this is her romantic orientation, I hope I'm not being condescending and you already know this, but a lot people, especially ace people use split attraction labels), and asexuality is the correct term! :> Also, I am always on the lookout for great ace books too, but for a non romance ace book- Felicity from Mackenzi Lee's Guide duology is confirmed by the author to (if they had those terms at the time) identify as asexual and aromntic- she doesn't want romance!. Also isn't an mc from Vicious ace/aro, too? (I haven't read it yet). I'm really looking forward to this book- you review made me want to read it even more, yay for adorkable ace love stories!!!

Olivia-Savannah  Roach I liked this one too! The cuteness and representation was brilliant - and Takumi was a great love interest (maybe too perfect at times but minor detail!)

New adult... I'm so confused with where those genre boundaries are ahaha. I get what you mean though.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Fama Yep, Felicity Montague is your gal!

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Tina: It's so good!!

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Brooke: It's just that Alice used the term "bisexual"...like that's what she ID'd herself as...unless I hugely misread. So I didn't mean to erase her being biromantic or anything, I was just noting in my review what Alice actually said! And I'm VERY excited for Felicity eep. Monty's book is one of my all time faves. <3 And I've read Vicious and love it and I think Schwab did say Victor was ace, but it's not on page in the book so IDK if it will be in Vengeful? Hopefully!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Olivia-Savannah: Yes he was a bit perfect hahah but SO CUTE I mean. The entire book was adorable!

@Elizabeth: Already so so desperate for it. But don't we have to wait until October?! 😫

Varian // Well-Read Rebel Aromantic (people without romantic attraction) books are so impossible to find! Aromantic, especially. I know a lot of aromantic or asexual people and they have such interesting stories that I would love to see represented!
-Well Read Rebel

message 18: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Maxwell: Agreed! I want ALL the ace-spectrum books tbh and there really aren't enough. I think the first aromantic character I've come across is a secondary character in Summer of Salt.

message 19: by V (new) - added it

V Bliss Yes! This is the first book I've seen with an ace MC, and as an ace fellow myself I am sobbing inside. I definitely would love to see more ace-spectrum focus in lit.

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @V: Yessss. Maybe this will spark publishers into giving us more?! I loved the ace-rep in Radio Silence but it wasn't the protagonist. We need way way way more ace protagonists.

Brooke C.G. wrote: "@Brooke: It's just that Alice used the term "bisexual"...like that's what she ID'd herself as...unless I hugely misread. So I didn't mean to erase her being biromantic or anything, I was just notin..."

Oh, sorry about that. It seems odd though that she would ID as asexual and bisexual and not asexual and biromantic...
And that's a shame about Vicious- looks like its still a good read anyway though! Hopefully Vengeful will get some on page discussion. :)

Brooke I feel like a prick for correcting you without reading the book, and I'm stewing over it, so sorry again. (It's just so odd to me, oh well.)

message 23: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Brooke: Oh it's fine! I know for sure she used the word bisexual but perhaps she was referring to before she was letting herself ID as asexual? (She struggles with being comfortable with it for most of the book.)

message 24: by Michal Lynn (last edited Mar 23, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michal Lynn Hope this doesn't seem like I'm trying to barge in, but when Alice came out to Takumi she said she was asexual and biromantic. He was confused because he thought she was bisexual and she clarified that she was biromantic. I remember this (though she may have said bisexual at an earlier part of the novel, like you mentioned because she was trying to figure herself out) because I had never read about an asexual biromantic character and I really loved seeing this represented! Hope that doesn't seem like I'm starting a fight or anything.

message 25: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie I’ve just started reading it and can confirm that Alice calls herself bisexual at the beginning. I’m guessing this is more due to her current confliction with labels and will change later.

Trouble by Daria Dafore has a gay aromantic lead. Lifeline Signal by RoAnna Sylver has an aroace main character but it is a sequel (though apparently there are some aroace side characters in first one). Then there’s also An Accident of Stars where’s she’s poly but aro. These are all suggestions! I haven’t read them myself.